• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Seized brake slide pin - How to release it....

blu67

I have a seized slide pin on my 2004 Jeep Grand Cherokee. I had no problem getting the caliper off for the pad replacement but one slide pin seems seized. Even a 3lb. sledge didn't want to budge it much. I tried some PB Blaster and some hammerings of the sledge but it still didn't want to move much. Any ideas on how to loosen this up?

Yeah, I had read that too but thought someone out there might have another trick up their sleeve that wasn't discussed on that forum.

Thanks!...Looks like heat and more PB blaster is in order..........Yay!!.......:^[

Heat on the outside and cold spray on the pin. Lots of penetrating oil and light tapping. It will come ......eventually.

Thanks, everyone. I guess I know where I'll be this weekend.....babysitting a slide pin before beating it.....

Yep. Sure did. Heat gun and a lot of PB Blaster, about 50 whacks with a dead blow and enough wrist twists with a pair of channel locks to aggravate my carpal tunnel.....got it to come out and not damage the boot!
Sanded off the gunk and corrosion and re-lubed and installed it. Just in time for handing it over to the girlfriend's niece. Had to make it safe.
Thanks for all the help!

Back