• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Seriously what's on the table at your house on 25th? Tell then show pics

copasspupil

Donator
Looking for your families traditional food, maybe something new or what your are cravin'

So I'll start. I made homemade bacon called cottage bacon last month, Croatian cured/smoked pork loin, and doing a ham for brunch. Nap. Later I'm planning on doin my herb crusted prime rib, smoked Gouda cheese au' gratin potatoes and Italian marinated vegetables. Dessert... Apple cranberry and spiced pecan pie.

Pics and recipes once it done

Traditionally we have a ham cheese and mustard sandwich that has been soaked night in an egg mixture. You could use egg beaters if you want I guess, open stocking then snack on a smoked meat and cheese platter along with a veggie platter. This year will be a little different thus my reasoning for asking...

We're doing grilled chicken and pork chops, baked taters, pecan pie bars, maple walnut and chocolate hazelnut pizzelle cookies, and whatever pies and cakes my mom will bake.

I'll have to post the pecan pie bars recipe. It's seriously good. Goes really good with the morning coffee.

Prime rib recipe I'm using:
(1) 6-7 lb. bone in rib roast
Make rub consisting of salt, black pepper, white pepper, celery salt, rosemary, garlic powder and thyme equal parts

Spread over the roast and place in an oven at 350 for ~ 2 hours or 135 internal temp. Let rest

Make your au-jus from the drippings and beef broth heat in the roast pan

Huge flavor and you might even get some after :yah

Smoke gouda au gratin with chipotle
Using a mandoline, slice 8 Yukon gold potatoes thinly
Buttermilk 2 1/2 cups - 3 cups depends on the size of the potaoes
1 lb. of gouda shredded
Dusting of flour
butter the dish
Begin by layering the dish with potatoes, flour, gouda and buttermilk
Cook for ~ 1hr or until the liquid is gone

Pics on Sunday

A big thick Chicago style pizza. I will be spending Christmas at my brothers in Chicago and I always tell him the pizza is the real reason I visit.

Re: Re: Seriously what's on the table at your house on 25th? Tell then show pics

"Horseplay" said:
Uno's blows in comparison to any of the REAL Chicago pizza places. Giordano's is good but you've also got Lou Malnati's, Gino's, Nancy's....

We used to go to ginos a lot when my brother lived at his old house. They are awesome too. Unos is ok, but nothing compared to the others. We have one by us and I go there, but its just not the same.

Re: Re: Seriously what's on the table at your house on 25th? Tell then show pics

"RapidRabbit" said:
We used to go to ginos a lot when my brother lived at his old house. They are awesome too. Unos is ok, but nothing compared to the others. We have one by us and I go there, but its just not the same.
Don't forget, most of the good pizza places will ship you a frozen pie that you can bake in your own oven. Not the cheapest way to go but if you're not local it is a great way to enjoy the delicacy every once and a while.

Never tried that. I do get to Chicago to see my brother enough to keep the cravings satisfied. Of course if I lived down there I would get it a lot more.

We do prime rib, twice baked, and sides vary from year to year.

Sent from my Desire HD using Tapatalk

I got so desperate that I bought two deep dish pans online and make my own now, but there is nothing like the real thing.

We don't do anything special for dinner with my family but we always have a special breakfast of Swedish Pancakes (called plett - pronounced pletta). Recipe for one batch (serves 2-3 people) of batter is 3 eggs, 2 cups of milk, 1 cup of flour, 1/2 stick of melted butter mixed together until nice smooth consistency. Then the trick is having the right pan to make the pancakes. You need one like this: http://www.amazon.com/Norpro-Cast-Iron- ... B0000VLYA4 and it makes pancakes about 2.5 inches in diameter. Top with whatever you like, my family is traditional and just always uses regular syrup. I look forward to this meal every year.

"cmayna" said:
Very simple here. 1 dungeness crab for each & clam clowda'

Same here.

I'd say great(?) minds think alike, but I don't wanna insult you by dragging ya down to my level in the gutter!

We have both sides over for Christmas eve and friends over for Christmas day.

Christmas eve:

Prime rib (~7 lb)
Honeybaked ham (~8 lb)
Deep fried turkey (12 lb)
mashed potatoes
something green
pumpkin pie
flan
peppermint ice cream (my son made this)
other stuff - can you say food coma?
singing, especially our own version of 'The 12 days of Christmas'

Christmas day:
remaining 5lb of prime rib
left overs
relapse on the food coma....

"copasspupil" said:
So how is a deep fried turkey? I only eat brined turkey, but have always been curious about a deep fried one.

Prolly tastes like chicken!

"copasspupil" said:
So how is a deep fried turkey? I only eat brined turkey, but have always been curious about a deep fried one.

Really good I brine mine, rub it than fry it. Mmmm

Sent from my DROID BIONIC using Tapatalk

Back