• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Severe stumbling-grrr-next step???

A decent amount of sediment in the fuel after draining. Blew out lines and some crap in it. Carb still looks good but haven't taken it off. I've got a question though. Considering I have some stuff mounted in the trunk area that requires disconnecting/disassembly/removal in order to get my tank out, I was wondering if anyone had ever flushed a gas tank without removing it? I have a drain plug in the tank so lifting the lr will get all liquid out. If I remove it, I'm just gonna buy a new one. Anyone ever done this...with luck?

For the cost vs hassle of cleaning, I would just get a new tank. To clean it, it should be removed. You can flush it but that just gets most of the loose stuff until you hit another bump and knock more crud of.

Decision made. New tank. Just pulled the sending unit and decision was made. Time to start unhooking crap. Thanks.

Not the tank. Ran good for a little, then nada. It actually cut off on me this time and took about ten minutes to get started again. Acts like no fuel but will take it all of a sudden. Won't get to mess with it this week but hopefully this weekend I can start from the pump and go up to the carb. I REALLY didn't want to take the carb off but looks like I'll be following Mark's and Dave's orders.

Fly me out on Playboy airlines and I'll help ya. What's a friend for anyway? Seriously, sorry to see you go through so much crap Duane. Hopefully it is the carb since you seem to have eliminated everything else except for the doofus owner........ :danc

"cmayna" said:
except for the doofus owner........ :danc

You may be on to something there. I thought about hauling it down to MBB II and letting that be the "contest" but since everyone will be severely stumbling as Mid put it, probably not a good idea.

Why don't you ship the car out here to me with a blank check and I'll see that when it comes back it'll run like a Cheetah chasing dinner. I'll even track test it to see if it'll outrun that damn cruzer.

Are you running vacuum advance? Did you maybe bump your dizzy while doing the fan work and perhaps turn it a bit and now your pulling in too much total timing?

I am running a vacuum advance. I doubt I moved it but did replace the cap when replacing the ignition stuff. Once I get the sending unit here and fill it back up, I'll be checking the timing to make sure everything is kosher. On a side note, this may be off the wall but let me throw something out there. (Don't laugh too hard)

After the first incident, I changed therm. and installed e-fan. Biggest puller I could fit and boy does it pull. The last time I ran it and it acted up, I felt of the fuel line and it was pretty hot. I haven't been able to run/check but do you think there may be a chance the fan is pulling in so much air that it is heating up the fuel line causing the fuel to heat up? Just been doing a lot of thinking (probably overthinking) so I can try and troubleshoot anything.

Do you think that the elec fan pushes more air then driving down the road at highway speeds.....probably not although, I have no tech to back that up.

Friggit Mark, I haven't been able to drive down the damn road!!!!! And it's "than" not "then". :hide2 Anyway, I'll get back on it next week and the first thing I'll do is check the timing and go from there. Like I said, by now I think I'm overthinking this thing and just need to take to the chevy dealership.

"blue65coupe" said:
Friggit Mark, I haven't been able to drive down the damn road!!!!! And it's "than" not "then".

Then, Than...never get em right, not about to change now....friggin convoluted engrish.

edit: I take that back, since you're not the only person to rip my then, than usage, I will re-learn the difference and try to do better. If you think I'ma gonna try and remember proper placement of commas, semi colons, apostrophes, etc...you got another thing coming my friend :nice

"70_Fastback" said:
Tisk tisk... don't be a racist.

your friend,
JohnnyK

:bird

[self edited due to UnPC remark] :bird :stfu

"blue65coupe" said:
Mmmmmmm, time to take it to the VGOFL. (shhh, I went ahead and posted for you, shhh)

You take all the fun out of being insubordinate!

No one has mentioned the fuel pump. I have had them work good at low speeds but not supply enough above 35 mph. The worse the pump got the slower the car went with out stumble and bucking. You might try a fuel pressure gage. My vacuum gage also has a fuel pressure scale.

Back