• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shifter

I installed the Pro 5.0 shifter tonight and test fit the Hurst handle. Its in neutral in the pics. I would have buttoned it all up, but I need a couple shoulder bolts, for some reason the Hurst handle has huge holes in it.

Whatta think?

BTW- the MSD box is just sitting there, it will get mounted under the dash after I figure out how much room the A/C box will take up.

2_13_10_08_8_36_03_0.JPG

2_13_10_08_8_36_04_1.JPG

Thanks, actually its just the natural aluminum finish, I hadn't noticed before the picture but it matches very well with the brushed aluminum dash panels. I taped off and painted the HURST letters in black.

Rick,

Dat be the exact same shifter stick/ball combo that I'm using. For me, it puts the ball in the perfect position. No awkwardness or having to reach/stretch during shifts.

I'm not using shouldered bolts.... and yes, they did eventually loosen causing the stick to become loose. I pulled the boot back off, coated the bolt threads with "red" threadlocker and cinched them back down again. After 6-700 miles the stick is still nice and tight.

For Ryan, yes, its a natural finish AL stick requiring the use of a 7/16ths threaded ball.

That looks great!
I couldn't help but notice the flooring, the aluminum looking stuff? Do you purchase that in sheets and it has to be cut? It looks really nice, must really cut down the noise!
dne' :pep

The stuff you see is Dynamat. There is a bunch of stuff on the market, but supposedly dynamat performs the best (it must, it costs the most.... :drunken_smilie), there is a post on the "the other site" that has a link to a website that did some comparison tests. It comes in sheets 1x3 IIRC, it can be cut with a utility knife.

Quick question guys (gals too). Does the plastic shifter boot mount on top or under the carpet? I would think on top simply so you dont have to remove everything to to get to shifter, but the old style stuff was all done from the bottom with the linkeage. Actually, now that I type all this I think it MUST go under as the chrome trim ring ( I dont see that lasting to long) will not fit over the entire boot base, but someone please confirmfor me. Thanks

I've never installed the rubber boot underneath the carpet, but that doesn't mean that the factory didn't.

Both my sons '68 with Hurst shifter and boot.... and my '66 with the exact same setup as yours.... have the rubber boot on top of the carpet and the chrome trim "ring" sandwiches the boot down to the carpet/transmission tunnel. The rubber boot is visible around the trim ring, but just barely.

Originally, Ford put the shifter boot below the carpet, and it is a PITA to get at those machine screws. The chrome bezel ring goes on top of the carpet.

Originally, Ford put the shifter boot below the carpet

I kinda figured that this is how it would have come from the factory. It makes sense in that the rubber boot would create a water-tight seal around the shifter opening.

OK, I started to install the stock shifter boot and trim ring and quickly decided, I dont like it at all. I'm thinking I would like to find something similar to this piece, maybe even a billet piece rather than the chrome ring. Is the bolt pattern fairly standard or would I have to find something Mustang specific?

shifter.jpg

Kinda like this

lok-70hrb.jpg

I believe the holes for the original shifter boot are not perfectly square; I seem to remember one length was 4" and the other was 4.5". However, if one is going to fabricate holes, feel free!

Back