• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shock tower bracing

My first post so be gentle. Attached (hopefully) is a picture of the new engine I almost have installed in my 65. The problem is I cannot find a strut tower brace/Monte Carlo bar (single piece unit) that will fit or looks substantial enough to stiffen the car. The runners on the TrickFlow plenium are so long it leaves little room to brace anything. The one with all the heim joints that are adjustable look nice and will probably fit but I question the rigidity. Maier Racing has a very substantial looking one but it looks like it is a little small, also and they never answered my email. Anyone using the ones with the heim joints and how much does it stiffen the car? I will gladly take any suggestions. I can fabricate one but want it to look professional.
Thanks

Attachments

• Will's picture.JPG
    79 KB · Views: 132
I went with the pieces from Shaun at Street or Track. They are heim ended and fit/look great. The piece he designed to bolt to the cowl is very slick and helps add a great deal of strength (IMHO). Just because it has a heim joint doesn't mean you lose rigidity at all.

You may end up having to bend or fab your own Monte Carlo bar as I don't think anyone's standard piece will easily clear your set-up but Shaun's tower brace ass'y would work well.

I have Shauns tower brace and monte carlo bar. Since I havent driven the car yet, I cant comment on handling improvements but I can say its beefy and well built. It looks good too!
Picture488.jpg

I have been trying to find a strut tower brace for my car too. I also have a trick flow intake. Shaun told me he could not verify that his brace would fit the trickflow.

"RyanG85" said:
I have Shauns tower brace and monte carlo bar. Since I havent driven the car yet, I cant comment on handling improvements but I can say its beefy and well built. It looks good too!
Picture488.jpg

I really like the look. Would it cause any problems if the Monte Carlo bar was moved more towards the front to clear my efi?

"RapidRabbit" said:
I have been trying to find a strut tower brace for my car too. I also have a trick flow intake. Shaun told me he could not verify that his brace would fit the trickflow.

What are you doing currently for structure? Really big question...did your hood fit? I haven't tried mine yet but it looks REALLY close.

My hood fit, but its a 70 so there might be more room. I am just finishing the engine install so I havent figured out what to do for the braces yet. I wanted to get shauns. I'm just afraid it won't fit on the drivers side.

"1965Mustang" said:
I really like the look. Would it cause any problems if the Monte Carlo bar was moved more towards the front to clear my efi?
If you look on the passenger side, the battery apron kicks out right ahead of the brace. I dont think you'll be able to move it forward at all.

I also have the export brace from Shaun. Very good merchandise.
I also have trouble with mounting the monte carlo bar because I have a 351W and the dizzy is in its way.
Looking for a flat distributor cap for my mallory 4755401 dizzy but can't find one . :rant :rant

Nice looking engine bay. The Monto Carlo bar will have to have a curve to go around the dizzy. The Export brace I like the Shaun St or Tr. It looks well made. Here's a photo of mine that has the hump in it. There not as strong but "if" you used heavier material to fab it, the strength will go up as well.

Attachments

• 001.JPG
    413 KB · Views: 115
"RapidRabbit" said:

Got an email back from him this morning and he said it would not fit. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks

"RapidRabbit" said:
My hood fit, but its a 70 so there might be more room. I am just finishing the engine install so I havent figured out what to do for the braces yet. I wanted to get shauns. I'm just afraid it won't fit on the drivers side.
MY HOOD FITS!!!! :yah :wor

"67 evil eleanor" said:
Nice looking engine bay. The Monto Carlo bar will have to have a curve to go around the dizzy. The Export brace I like the Shaun St or Tr. It looks well made. Here's a photo of mine that has the hump in it. There not as strong but "if" you used heavier material to fab it, the strength will go up as well.

Yours looks cleaner than mine. Thanks for the pic. I am not even sure that will work.
with the long runners on the TrickFlow. I don't like homemade since I cannot weld aluminum but ....

"1965Mustang" said:
Got an email back from him this morning and he said it would not fit. Back to the drawing board.
Thanks
I presume the Monte bar would not fit, correct? You could still use his tower brace set-up. If you went this way, you could get matching a rod to build your own Monte set-up that could fit by moving it forward for clearance.

Here is one source. They will make a custom length rod.

http://www.speedpartz.com/7838_radius_rods.htm

Thanks. Bookmarked the site. Problem is the drivers side room on the shock tower. The old brace runs straight into the intake just to give you an idea how restricted it is.

The intake is very far over on the drivers side. Here's a shot of mine.

IMAG0343-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I think my intake is bigger than yours. I think I have a lot less room than you. All I can figure is to weld up something and run a piece of longer metal down the cowel and weld in a crossbrace. I just think it is going to look like a cluster :shee which I do not like

"RapidRabbit" said:
:thu

What are you using for an Air cleaner setup? That might interfere with a monte carlo bar too.

TrickFlow cold air kit with a 90 degree bend to turn it toward the ground so I can install the filter. 5" AEM tapered filter. No room above engine to install it

Back