• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Shock tower bracing

I would look at it this way. Would you rather have a support that is 25 degrees or not have one at all? I think you will be fine if you run a MC bar with it.

I picked up the plate aluminum and grade 8 chrome bolts locally. For the rod ends and swedge rods I went on speedwaymotors.com and ordered them.

I cut the aluninum with an angle grinder and the buffed it myself. Harbor freight sells a good buffer grinder combo that worked well. It was a fun project.

Thanks much. I will check the site out. Did you make your plates out of 1/4" aluminum like SilverblueBP? I also guess you agree that both sides should be the same angle? That sounds logical to me. There is a good article about doing this for regular braces I read a while back. I have no doubt something is better than nothing. I have Maier Racing sfc's and X-member and it made a huge difference after they were installed. I have started doing a lot of polishing myself. It takes me forever but sure makes things shine. Just found some very good polish and sealer to help it stay shiny. Thanks again.

I know this is probably a dumb question, but why do I need to make 2 sets? Another question. Is your Avatar on strike? She is not jumping!

Re: Re: Shock tower bracing

"1965Mustang" said:
I know this is probably a dumb question, but why do I need to make 2 sets? Another question. Is your Avatar on strike? She is not jumping!

Ugh, no reason.
Just pm me when your done and I will tell you where to send the second one.

I have decided to build my own shock tower braces using swedge rods, heim joints, and building my own braces like a few others that helped me out on this thread. I would like to add an extra cross brace like the TCP unit but cannot find the brackets to connect another swedge rod to the two swedge rods bracing the cowl and the swedge rod from the Monte Carlo bar I am going to get from Shaun to the shock tower. Anyone got a source for the connecting brackets? Does that make sense? Thanks

I will take and post pics and keep a list of parts and sources for my build book like I always have. I'm going to lay it out with plywood and PVC pipe before I start cutting the 1/4" aluminum. I feel sure as moregoes to efi this will be a continuous problem.

I called TCP once and they will sell you the bracket that connects the swedge rods. IIRC they were like $15 each.

what kind of material finish do you plan to use. I know you've talked of aluminum, but do you plan to polish or paint it?

"68EFIvert" said:
I called TCP once and they will sell you the bracket that connects the swedge rods. IIRC they were like $15 each.

Thats money well spent there. i was think a two hole strap or larger diameter pipe with a tab welded on.

"lethal289" said:
what kind of material finish do you plan to use. I know you've talked of aluminum, but do you plan to polish or paint it?

Thats money well spent there. i was think a two hole strap or larger diameter pipe with a tab welded on.

Thanks. I just learned a time saving lesson. I just needed to ask before I spend 2 hours looking for something and still not finding it. I will contact TCP. Another dumb question. what is a 2 hole strap or larger pipe? If I can find someone that can weld aluminum, which I guess the swedge rods are made from, then a tab welded would be a much stronger idea than the TCP straps. I plan on polishing it. Already polished everything I can including my radiator core. Even polished the locking mechanism and catch in my trunk after I boxed it in and carpeted it. I need to post a picture. My trunk really turned out good. Even had a tire cover made for my 17" wheels and brought it over her to my shop and had my car and 1965 Mustang embroidered on it. Looks pretty good for a beginner. I'll post some pics as soon as I get it running again.

Just some ideas,i was thinking a heavy steel version of one of these:

{This is a conduit strap, a plumbing supply store should have real heavy versions for mounting steel pipe, or maybe you can make something similar out of thicker material}
Halex_96163_adalet_1_inch_Steel_Two_Hole_Strap.jpg

if its oversized, you can bend it around a smaller piece of pipe untill the two holes meet up. that would give you a mounting point. similarly to this
PipeClamp.jpg

Maybe you could use a pipe clamp?
unlined%20pipe%20clamp%20M.jpg

The pipe idea would be stronger IMO. Basically what ever size the swedged rod that connects the two towers together is, use maybe a 1 size larger piece of pipe and weld the mounting point on.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back