• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Side Scoops Picture Thread

"AtlantaSteve" said:
This weekend (if I get 2 seconds...not looking very good) I'll try to snag some pictures of the bolts installed in the scoops.
You nailed my next question. Cant wait to see them. Either way steve it looks like progress.

Yep with that pic of your welder, you win the "ugliest welder award" for sure. Can you even hook up a shielding gas to that thing?

You do know if you use a computer chair rather than a folding chair your welder will become mobile, right? Although, I shouldnt knock it, my welder sat UNDER my workbench, then I loaned it to my Ex GFs dad, he returned it with a mobile welding cart....

4099204811_5b794ebdd5_b.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
"Fast68back" said:
Although, I shouldnt knock it, my welder sat UNDER my workbench, then I loaned it to my Ex GFs dad, he returned it with a mobile welding cart....

You know without pics, it never happened.

"lethal289" said:
Can you even hook up a shielding gas to that thing?

Nope. Flux only. I can't drop the 600 I need to for the discbrakeswap.com kit for my car, so dropping that much or more on a welder would just hurt.

OK, so got the Driver's side complete (for now). Gotta put the window back in, but that's not pertinent to this thread.

So, here are the pics!

4108069044_de4dfabc0a_b.jpg

Drilled out car body

set-72157622622236423

Drilled out scoops

4107305147_f889a21075_b.jpg

4107306757_bd1e9e44a1_b.jpg

4107307277_64b08bd4ac_b.jpg

The installed bolts (well, hex head machine screws) in the scoop. Note I didn't use any sort of "adhesive" to hold them in place.

4108076576_ee39f09cb6_b.jpg

4108077130_3ba63ee5eb_b.jpg

Installed nuts on the inside
So what I did was just tighten them down with a regular nut. Good ole' friction just kep the head in place enough to get a good snug on them. Then I ran the nylon insert nuts ontop of that to act like a "jam" nut. The screws were in there tight enough that they didn't turn much while putting on the lock nuts. A few times I had to stick some needle nose pliers in there and hold everything in place...but I was pretty lucky with it overall.

4108078146_220650d63e_b.jpg

4108074386_d4e4b01d99_b.jpg

4107308255_8127d1d333_b.jpg

And that's all she wrote! Gotta do the same thing on the other side and this is one finished project...well until I start the actual bodywork.

Any other questions/comments?

Last edited by a moderator:
Looking good steve. Are you planning to put anything between the scoop and the body during final assembly? Adhesive, caulk, tape? Any thoughts?

"lethal289" said:
Looking good steve. Are you planning to put anything between the scoop and the body during final assembly? Adhesive, caulk, tape? Any thoughts?

Honestly, I hadn't considered it. I did forget to point out that inside the car, between the washer and the body panel I put some rubber washers. I doubt they would be "water tight" But the stock trim was held on with those stamped nuts with rubber washers, so I figured I'd follow that pattern.

Steve

Back