• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

size of battery cable

i967mustang

I moved the battery to the trunk on Karens Mustang II, Is there such a thing as too big when running the cables? I am planning on running welding cable from the back to the front.

nope, the bigger the better.
are you going to put the solenoid in the trunk?
i prefer to do this to keep that lead hot only durning starting.

I have the selenoid mounted to the front frame rail, but just wanted to know about the size before I run that cable all through the car.
Thanks,

"i967mustang" said:
I have the selenoid mounted to the front frame rail, but just wanted to know about the size before I run that cable all through the car.
Thanks,

To each their own, but that's a potentially dangerous design, in the event the cable ever grounds out from chafing of the insulation or damage in an accident.

No such thing as too big unless you just can't manage the cable, but you can go too small. Move the solenoid to the trunk or you are a fireball waiting to happen no matter the cable size.

I assume the solenoid in the trunk idea is from MAD, correct me if I'm wrong.

I understand that by putting it in the trunk it is only hot during cranking, but what about the alternator feed back to the battery, wouldn't that be hot whenever the engine is running? I can see that it would be safer in that the engine would probably not be running immediately after an accident, but there is still a lot of juice running the full length of the car when it is.

Please set me straight, I'll be the first to admit I don't have a good handle on electrical stuff.

you will have a HOT wire running the full length no matter what, but you can can put a fuse on the hot wire so in the event of an accident and the hot wire gets cut into it will blow the fuse.
I kept my solinoid in the engine compartment and ran the battery cable thru the rocker panel on the passenger side just like the wiring harness is run thru on the drivers side. If the car is wrecked bad enough to cut thru the cable inside the rocker I'll be dead anyway. :mod

Back