• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So was Sanborn right or wrong about my valve damage...?

What do you think? Is Sanborn an engine guru or should he stick to 2-strokes?

• Yes, Dave was right - there was NO valve damage.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, Dave was wrong - there is valve damage.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Who really gives a sh*t.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
Dis is what I found when I yanked da heads off...

all exhausts and an intake:
26_28_06_09_5_02_52_0.JPG

intake and exhaust here:
26_28_06_09_5_02_53_1.JPG

26_28_06_09_5_02_53_2.JPG

Got the intake pretty good on dis one:
26_28_06_09_5_02_53_3.JPG

26_28_06_09_5_02_53_4.JPG

26_28_06_09_5_03_55_0.JPG

26_28_06_09_5_03_55_1.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
well, for sure they got smacked, but are they bent? Do you have a valve spring compresser so you can pull 'em out? The valves are much harder than the pistons, do the pistons have any damage?

"tarafied1" said:
well, for sure they got smacked, but are they bent? Do you have a valve spring compresser so you can pull 'em out? The valves are much harder than the pistons, do the pistons have any damage?

yeah, I've got a spring compresser. Just ran out of time today. I'm going to pull them all and stick'em in the valve grinder and spin them to check if they are bent.

U don't need to chuck them up in the valve grinder. Just take them out and roll them on the kitchen table. You'll know immediately if they are bent.

What on each piston caused that nice clean line/witness mark on the valves? Is there some kind of "ridge" on your piston tops? And... is there a corresponding witness mark on each piston?

"daveSanborn" said:
What on each piston caused that nice clean line/witness mark on the valves? Is there some kind of "ridge" on your piston tops? And... is there a corresponding witness mark on each piston?

Yeah! Take a pic of some pistons foo.

I'm guessing he has some domes on the pistons. I'd bet the pistons have nice little mash marks on them.

"lethal289" said:
those valves are to consistent, i wonder if maybe they were hitting the pistons before the failure.

That's a very good observation. If the gear drive failed and allowed the cam to stop turning there is no way it could have smacked all the intake valves.

Maybe the valves were touching all along and caused the gear failure.
I'm sure the valve lift on the cam was greater on the intakes too.

I thought it was odd as well that all of the exhaust valves hit. And the pistons are flat tops w/ valve reliefs

So are the valve reliefs in the right position? This gets more interesting all the time.

"Sluggo" said:
Yeah! Take a pic of some pistons foo.

I'm guessing he has some domes on the pistons. I'd bet the pistons have nice little mash marks on them.
have any pics of the pistons yet jeremy?

Back