• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

So was Sanborn right or wrong about my valve damage...?

What do you think? Is Sanborn an engine guru or should he stick to 2-strokes?

• Yes, Dave was right - there was NO valve damage.

Votes: 2 20.0%
  • No, Dave was wrong - there is valve damage.

Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Who really gives a sh*t.

Votes: 3 30.0%

• Total voters
Hey Tracy! The valves are bent fairly good.

If you didn't see my previous postl my gear drive grenaded on me and let the timing slip to the point of failure as seen here.

I'm now in the process of trying to find replacement valves.

"Starfury" said:
Your math's a little off, Jeff;)

3000rpm, divide by 60s/min, divide by 8 cylinders, divide by 2 (each cylinder fires once every two revolutions), you get 3.125 spark events per second. 25 times a second is 24000 rpm :D

Tad:

First, I am NOT a math major so I'm not trying to bust your chops. I am, however, having a difficult time visualizing your math. Follow me for a second: If each cylinder fires 3.125 (your number) times per second and there are 60 seconds in a minute (3.125 x 60) then that cylinder fires 187.5 times per minute. If that cylinder fires once every two revolutions than the engine speed would be 187.5 x 2 = 375 rpm.

Using the same formula, here's how I got to my figure of 25 sparks per second per cylinder. 25 sparks per second times 60 seconds = 1500 sparks per minute. With a spark every other revolution the engine speed would be at (1500 x 2) 3000 rpm.

Going from the other end, at 3000 rpm an 8 cylinder engine generates 12,000 spark events per minute (3000 x 8 divided by 2). Dividing 12,000 spark events by 60 seconds = 200 spark events per second. Dividing 2000 spark events by 8 cylinders = 25 spark events per second per cylinder.

To simplify further, if we have a one cylinder engine firing once every other revolution as it is turning 3000 rpm we have 1500 spark events per minute (3000 divided by 2). To calculate the per second rate of spark events, divide 1500 by 60 results in 25 spark events per second.

Help me understand where I miscalculated.....................

"70_Fastback" said:
Hey Tracy! The valves are bent fairly good.

If you didn't see my previous postl my gear drive grenaded on me and let the timing slip to the point of failure as seen here.

I'm now in the process of trying to find replacement valves.

Oh...bummer. I am a FNG...huh?

"JeffTepper" said:
Tad:

First, I am NOT a math major so I'm not trying to bust your chops. I am, however, having a difficult time visualizing your math. Follow me for a second: If each cylinder fires 3.125 (your number) times per second and there are 60 seconds in a minute (3.125 x 60) then that cylinder fires 187.5 times per minute. If that cylinder fires once every two revolutions than the engine speed would be 187.5 x 2 = 375 rpm.

Using the same formula, here's how I got to my figure of 25 sparks per second per cylinder. 25 sparks per second times 60 seconds = 1500 sparks per minute. With a spark every other revolution the engine speed would be at (1500 x 2) 3000 rpm.

Going from the other end, at 3000 rpm an 8 cylinder engine generates 12,000 spark events per minute (3000 x 8 divided by 2). Dividing 12,000 spark events by 60 seconds = 200 spark events per second. Dividing 2000 spark events by 8 cylinders = 25 spark events per second per cylinder.

To simplify further, if we have a one cylinder engine firing once every other revolution as it is turning 3000 rpm we have 1500 spark events per minute (3000 divided by 2). To calculate the per second rate of spark events, divide 1500 by 60 results in 25 spark events per second.

Help me understand where I miscalculated.....................

Dr. Midlife here...anyone need aspirin? I'm writing prescriptions right now!

Back