• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Some ?'s about belt configurations

AzPete

My '66 has a early to mid 80's 302 with the stock serpentine setup running the alt as the only option. This also has the normal rotation pump and lower hose on the drivers side. Uses the smooth pulley on the grooved side of the belt....crappy at best.

In considering A/C in the future, I think I may go from the serpentine system to a V belt. I would need to go to a reverse flow pump and fan plus the a/c unit and maybe a reverse flow timing cover to stay serpentine.

For the V belt, I need to swap out the pulleys, (4 bolt crank, stock alt, and water pump) using the stock alt. bracket plus a/c.

The question I have now is.....the location on the water pump for the stock alt. lower adjustable bracket is not of the raised boss type to provide proper alignment. Could I cheat and use a spacer and longer bolt and would it hold or is there another bracket without going to the high dollar stuff?

Looking for options before I commit to the a/c unit down the road.

Back