• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Speedo cable lube????

KBMWRS

Welcome truth back
Donator
So as Kelly can attest to my speedo was a little off. For a year now I've been driving with it bouncing around about 5mph...then it got worse. Last year on the way to Knotts it read zero then back to speed. Last week at 40mph it was reading 80 then 90 then 100 and the next look I could not see the needle anywhere.

So I bought a new speed cable and today took the old one off. Mmmmm, the old cable is in one piece (I slid it out). Turns/rotates OK. I check the speedo gear...yep the inside where the square cable pushes into must be rounded...no good. Ordered up a new one. Just need to wait to get it from NPD.

Now for install....I'll cover the cable just to protect it from the 390 heat but should I also lube it before install?

what type of lube? white grease? Graphite oil?

There used to be a product specifically for cable lubing, but I haven't seen it since I worked at Napa ages ago.

That's what this cable lube is. Graphite in a oily liquid that evaporates. It gets it down the cable and then its coated with the graphite.

Back