• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

SPI clears?

apollard

OK, I know you pro guys like the SPI primers, since some of you have posted about them. Also, lots of folks (pro & DIY) here seem to use them.

But, I can't recall if any of you guys posted about the clears. The clears have a good price, just wondering about longevity and how they lay down- been burned before by cheap clear. So, any input on the Universal clear or MS lines?

I've never had good luck with any of the SPI products. I use Mattrix which is a 2 to 1 mix ratio. It has to be one of the easiest clear to spray on the market.

Rich,
What issues did you have with the SPI?
What Matrix clears do you use? Suitable for a daily driver finish?

I use Mattrix MS-42 on everything from our collision work to the 150,000 dollar Mustangs. I won't get on a public forum and bash SPI, I just won't ever use any of there products again.

Thanks Rich, I understand, just looking for info. There's a Matrix dealer not far from work. May pick up some to try. I've been using the Finish 1 clear from MS, but wanted something a little deeper, and that smoothes out better.

I'm by no means a painter and recently used some Transtar Kwik Gloss clear on a few projects. I sprayed a trunklid and two rear bumpers with this stuff and with a little reducer added the clear flowed out really really nice... to the point where I don't think it even needs a buff. The other times I used it without any reducer, it looked ok, but with about 10% reducer, it came out much smoother.

Never sprayed SPI product. I've sprayed several others.

I like Dupont 7779s mixed 3 parts 7779 to 1 part 7776s snap clear, then follow normal 4:1 mixing.

The 7776s is a faster clear for single panels. When mixed with 7779s it speeds it up a little bit. After the first coat gets tacked up you can really lay on the product.

Next go round I'm going to try Standox.

When it comes to clears, I've sprayed every brand there is on this plant. The nice thing about Mattirix is you can spray a coat every 10 to 12 minutes. It sets up very fast. It is also dry to the touch in about a hour and it doesn't stink like a lot of them.

"buckeyedemon" said:
who are these pro's you speak of on stangfix?

There are several professional restorers & modifiers on the board here. For example, Rich makes some absouletly amazing cars. There are several on some other boards I'm on and it's possible I confused which ones used the SPI. But, the input so far has been valuable.

Way back when (back in the 10 layer wet sanded acrylic lacquer days), I painted for a professor at school who restored old Mercedes and Jags. We used only Dupont & PPG, and I liked them. However, there are lots of options out there now, so I've been looking around now that I'm going to be doing more of it.

I'm going to try the MS-42. The low odor is a big plus, as I'm shooting in an attached garage.

If you are just doing some panel painting, you can use the MS-43 harder, but for overall you can choose from there 005 to 006 depending on temp.

I'm with Rich. I use a lot of Matrix MS-42. Matrix came out with it when they were copying PPG's products. It is a really nice glossy clear that is very easy to spray and buff.

Doug

All I have used in my shop since 2005 is SPI epoxy, primer. urethane primer and I use SPI universal clear. This was painted back in 2007 and is driven and stills looks like it was painted yesterday. A couple of years ago received a best paint award at a show with over 150 cars entered.

IMG_0163.jpg

Here is another one that was never wet sanded or buffed

DSCF0014-1.jpg

More cars painted with SPI clear

95.jpg

54.jpg

103.jpg

32.jpg

51-2.jpg

PA310008.jpg

153-3.jpg

130-1.jpg

hoodDSCF0003.jpg

48-3.jpg

Brian painted this one and it was the first time he painted a car.

58-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
My wife painted this gas tank. SPI EPOXY, SPI BASE, SPI UNIVERSAL CLEAR. We do not own a body shop, nor are we professionals. There is no 2K on this tank, there is no etch primer, there are no waves. I can't say if SPI is the "best" product on the market, but it sure is the best product that we have used.

DSCN0988.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

"82firebird" said:
My wife painted this gas tank. SPI EPOXY, SPI BASE, SPI UNIVERSAL CLEAR. We do not own a body shop, nor are we professionals. There is no 2K on this tank, there is no etch primer, there are no waves. I can't say if SPI is the "best" product on the market, but it sure is the best product that we have used.

DSCN0988.jpg

DSCN1207.jpg

[/quote

You need to use about 15 other brand then you will see the difference.

I went with SPI this time, and I'm not sure if I'd do it again. I mean, it 'seems' ok (haven't layed the clear yet, except on jambs and what not...).. Their epoxy I wouldn't use again, just because there are other epoxies at half the price that I only hear good things about.

Their clear, as I said, I haven't used it on any exterior pieces yet.. But for it's price, I'm not sure if it's a good deal. My main concern is nobody has any long term results with it (I've had this on for 3 years, does not count as a long term test to me).

Back