• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stock Ignition wiring Diagram for 1973 Mach 1

Does anybody happen to have a wiring diagram for a stock 1973 Mach 1 Ignition where I can change mine back to points? Im gonna start from scratch. Its a 351 Cleveland.

I see no breaker.....just a couple of plugs as it goes thru the fire wall and under the dash. Looks just like all the other stock wiring systems for Mustangs. Do you have the factory gauge harness.....the one that has three wires in it...one coil, one temp sender, one oil sender? That has a wire that gor=es to a pink wire under the dash.....and it is a resistor (pink) wire for a lower voltage to the coil.

Could the breaker be the points? Usually, the coil from the underdash goes to the + side, and the - side goes to the distributor and points. I've seen where the points are called the breaker.

Those wiring diagrams are really poor. What is called the "breaker" is the connector for the oil, temp, and coil lines, typically just forward of the firewall.

"Midlife" said:
Could the breaker be the points? Usually, the coil from the underdash goes to the + side, and the - side goes to the distributor and points. I've seen where the points are called the breaker.

Those wiring diagrams are really poor. What is called the "breaker" is the connector for the oil, temp, and coil lines, typically just forward of the firewall.

Midlife, would it be too much to ask you to draw up a little better diagram to work with without all the lines? Or are you able to?

Those diagrams were taken from another site back in 2000, and they are simply scanned versions from Chilton. The actual Ford diagrams are 11x17" and there are 7 of them for 1973. I have no desire to re-draw them...

"Midlife" said:
Those diagrams were taken from another site back in 2000, and they are simply scanned versions from Chilton. The actual Ford diagrams are 11x17" and there are 7 of them for 1973. I have no desire to re-draw them...

lol, i really only need the part for the distributor id think. lol.

It is very simple to follow the wiring diagrams if you study them a bit. Try printing them out and then you can hilite the ones you need as you follow them.

Back