• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stop fuel spills- filler neck modification

Terry's comments about EVER finishing his 65 aside....(which I doubt will ever happen BTW), I don't understand the fuel filling problem.

IMG_5201Large.jpg

no I haven't. I did get asked to build one with a "check=valve" and I did. The guy who asked me to do it supplied the parts. It was a device marketed to the tri-five Chevy guys. I attached a few pics. He didn't like it so I made him one like the rest and he was happy. He gave me the one with the check valve for my trouble. I still have it.
Personally, the plate I installed in mine solved the problems. I think the flapper was to prevent filling with the wrong fuel. Leaded fuel nozzles are/were bigger and won't fit thru the small hole. If you try to fill it the flapper will cause the auto-shut-off feature to kick in. That's what I think anyway.
As far as fuel sloshing back out when full, I don't have that issue. My dad reports the same with his 66 that I did for him. Other results may vary...
Thanks for the info. The way I'm going to try to use it won't involve nearly as much welding as yours, just a few spot welds. I don't plan on cutting the tube itself. Guess I'll give it a go and let everyone know how it turns out. Just adding one more way to skin a cat!

How well I recall the leaded versus unleaded nozzles when they first appeared. Do you remember guys knocking out the flapper in order to use the leaded nozzle? Now what I'd like to know is where in the hell have you seen a leaded gas nozzle lately?!?

yes, here in Bowling Green near the Drag strip are some stations you can buy 100+ octane leaded fuel

That's an interesting modification. I had no idea so much experimentation had taken place. It does show how far reaching this problem is.
So the check valve is normally closed and the nozzle slips by below the center of balance to open it?
You may be right that the smaller hole is enough to prevent fuel from sloshing out when full and the spring flapper isn't really required. I haven't experimented much to verify (yet). Sounds like a good reason to try some burnouts :)

So the check valve is normally closed and the nozzle slips by below the center of balance to open it?
... Sounds like a good reason to try some burnouts :)
yes, the flapper in this case is off center so the heavy part holds it shut The nozzle will push it open as you insert in in the filler. It seals against a plat as the car sits and/or accelerates. It seems like a good concept.
I have not put it in my car to see why he didn't like it but he sent it back to me and asked for the one like I had made before...

And do we really need an excuse to do a burnout!?!?

When I made mine, I used the flapper from a mid 80's Mercury wagon's fuel neck. They are so easily removed, from the tank, just twist right out after removing the three screws inside the filler door...

So I finally got a chance to try my hand at this one. I bought a '70 22 gallon tank for my car and the filler neck to match. I figure one day I will make a long trek (HPT maybe?) so having the extra range could be useful at times. I also picked up one of these stubby little pieces that feature a flapper and correctly sized nozzle hole. The outside diameter also perfectly matches up to that of a classic mustang filler neck.

http://www.fillernecksupply.com/fuel-filler-neck-cap-insert-screw-in-cap-gas-engine-NJ507090G2/

So after installing the tank and stock filler neck piece I marked the orientation on the tube and took it off the car. I made a couple reference lines along the length of the tube and then sectioned it so as to position the flapper piece in between. Each neck I had, the stock and the special to accommodate the taller tank, has different angle and section lengths so one has to use their own set-up and best judgement for where to cut. I did some measurements of the depth of the flapper from the top of the opening on a couple of my other vehicles to get an idea of where it should end up.

Next I positioned the piece on the top portion of the filler tube, aligning it so that the flapper hole was centered and at the bottom, and tacked it in place with my welder. Next i simply aligned the other piece of the filler neck using the reference marks I had made and tacked it all together. After test fitting it in the car and verifying everything looked right I welded it all up. When finished it looked like a factory piece.

filler neck sectioned.jpg flapper tacked.jpg inside flapper.jpg inside finished filler neck.jpg filler neck done side.jpg

Now all I have left to do is seal the inside of the tube where I cut/welded it to prevent rust. I'm thinking of using a gas tank sealing product. The exterior I will just paint. .

impressive! how did you like the new welder?
It is so sweet. Having never been instructed in how to weld I have had to try and learn on my own by trial and error. One can watch all the Youtube videos you want, the only way to really learn is to practice. The old unit I had was one of those 4 tap type units. It was next to impossible to get it right to make a good, consistent weld. Not only does this new Lincoln have infinite adjustment for both voltage and wire speed, it uses inverter technology rather than just transformers which allow it to control arc initiation among other things. Not too mention the idiot proof set-up screen programming. The display shows everything in numbers which are fully adjustable. I've found for the stuff I have done so far by lowering the default wire speeds and bumping up the "heat" I can get unbelievable results. Plan for the weekend is to install the exhaust. That will require a bit of tube modification and welding similar to this last project only with stainless 2 1/2" tube. For once i am looking forward to a project that includes some "delicate" welding.

Nicely done! The flapper part does overlap the tubes so did you just grind that off or were you able to just ignore that and weld the tubes on from each side? Did you use the MIG or TIG of your new welder? It seems like a perfect application for TIG. Don't be shy- show us a closeup of the welding. The devil is always in the details and I would have welded the darn thing if I had the equipment (and skills).

Hey Terry. (I'm a little late to the party...) How has this modification worked in your car? Success?

Back