• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stroker Question

68stang289

I understand the basics of stroking a motor, but I had a few other questions I haven't been able to find through a google search. For my next car I want to build a stroker motor (either a 331 or a 347). My question is, does that require a different harmonic balancer? I would imagine the whole rotating assembly would need to be rebalanced, but could I reuse my stock 28 oz harmonic balancer? Other than the rods, pistons and crank, what else would need to be changed over during the build (timing chain, taller valve covers, etc)?

Sorry for my ignorance, engine building is still a foreign thing to me. :ep

When you order the kit, you basically order it for the style of imbalance you are running... 28oz or 50oz. The harmonic balancer and flywheel need to match (28 or 50) other than that you use all the other external parts.
You can purchase complete balanced kits that include the balancer and flexplate, but if running a manual trans, it might be better to have a local shop balance the rotating assy for you which would require them to have your balancer, flywheel and pressure plate so they can assure everything is right on.

A new timing chain, cam and lifters would be in order too. Taller valve covers are typical for roller rockers. Increasing the stroke doeesn't affect the rocker arm motion, so the valve covers wouldn't neccesarily need to change.

Ok, that's what I thought, but I've made an ass out of myself more than once. I have some spare 289/302 performance parts and wanted to see if they were worth keeping around for the next project (which will in all likelihood be in a few years time). Thanks for the great info!

Back