• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Stronger than stock 1969 Mach 1 front spindles

69 Mach1

I have a 69 Mach 1 with a 351C and I am planning on updating my front suspension next year. The question I have is there a stronger spindle than the original or should I go to a Granada spindles? My plans for the car is to be a driver and visit a local (small) SCCA event once or twice per year.

Thanks,

There are many people successfully open-tracking and roadracing the 1965-69 small-pin spindles without issues. If you want to upgrade, 1970-73 or granada spindles have the larger pin, as was used on the Ford-backed Trans-Am cars back in the day. A trip or two around the track shouldn't be an issue for the "weak" spindles.

I've personally never seen a spindle broken or heard of one in my 10 years on various mustang forums, so I doubt you will have to worry about that. Save your money and spend it elsewhere on the car :)

IIRC, HenryV had one break on him awhile back, but he runs his car like Nicolas Cage stole it :ecit I've been tracking mine now for 5 years old the stock front spindles, no problems so far.

I want to thank every one for their suggestions I just want to be safe. The thought of a spindle breaking in a middle of a tight turn freaks me out. Thanks again

"buening" said:
IIRC the only difference between the 69 and 70-73 spindles is the tie rod end diameter. The later has larger tie rod ends.

No they have a larger spindle-pin, too. Very common on track cars due to the increased strength.

If I remember correctly you can also reuse your '69 rotors, just have to tap the races out and install '70 races/bearings.
Jon

Thanks Jonk67, AtlantaSteve and buening, that was my next step is to determine what was required to switch to the 70 style spindle.

Yup. As mentioned the only difference is outer tied rod. There's no difference between the '69 and '70 rotor, but the hub is different, due to the larger spindle pin and bearings on the '70.

FWIW, I have '70 front disks on both my '66 and my '69.

The only one I ever saw fail was on the passenger side of a blue '70 Mach 1 going into
turn 1 at Willow Springs back in the mid-90s.
At 100 & on the brakes is not a good time to have this issue but follows Murphy closely-
if it's going to fail it will do so at the worst possible time.
Don't know what the material condition of the spindle was- it could have had a problem
before it ever got to the track.
The big pin spindles don't generally have any breakage issues ('69 Boss, 70-73 or the
ultra-rare C9ZZ service replacements for 65/66's).

ex-Global West GM
1991-1994

Back