• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

subframe connector question

mongrel

hey all! hows everyone doing? ready for xmas? anyways i'm allmost ready to install my motor and trans in my 65 :ecit.my question is would it be better to install my subframe connectors before or after the drivetrain? any help or advise would be great.thanks mark

ready for Xmas as I'm gonna be!

What type of subframe connectors do you have? It shouldn't matter I wouldn't think. Mine were weld-in and had to cut into the floor at the rear but nothing that would have been an issue with the drivetrain in or out.

Depending on the type and mounting point(s), it would probably be easier to do without an exhaust in the way. I kinda lumped connectors into my suspension phase of the build.

As much flex as these cars have, I'd be careful about adding subframe connectors w/o the engine & trans in. The body has likely flexed out of spec, especially if the weight has been off of it for a while. I checked my body before & after being on jack stands for a month once - the measurements varied by nearly 3/8 inch. I didn't have the frame measurements then, so I have no idea which was correct.

IMO, I would put the engine & trans back in, check the measurements for the chasis (which are with the weight on it), adjust if needed, and then weld them in.

I could have sworn I read that sfc's should be installed with the drivetrain in as otherwise the body/subframes may have an unweighted bow to them and if you weld them on empty it will remain. If you've ever seen a flat bed trailer w/no load and an upward bow to the middle that's it magnified. I know the car should be level when installing also. Try asking one of the vendors like SorT in the question section.
Jon

I had the very same question regarding sub's, as I had heard identical information.

I talked with TinMan himself, given the fact my Coupe is stripped to the bare shell at this time we agreed it would be fine to go ahead and weld them in prior to any drivetrain/suspension/door/hood etc installation. At this point the frame has settled all it will and given all the replacement metal I figure I'll lock it in and be good to go. At this point for me there is no turning back from the dark side - R&C M2 front, welded in seat divider and package tray sheet metal, re-designed flat trunk floor with rear frame rail cross-bracing underneath for the fuel cell, complete frame rail/TB/floor pan replacement, with a roll hoop to go in this week.

m7vzgl.jpg
2j47ngl.jpg
33acb4p.jpg

I also hear the point about the frame flex, which makes sense to me if the car is currently roadworthy and is now having the sub's added after the fact. In that case I would have everything pre loaded and then install just in case. BTW, no cutting with the TinMan style subs and he is currently developing a driveshaft loop to go with them.

Back