• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Suspension removal...

"Midlife" said:
Just call me Nancy.

Both AZPete and I tried the BFH method without success. Eventually, the pickle fork did do the trick after one fork broke beyond repair (cheap Chinese crap!).

It's all in the size of your tool and how you work it.

"silverblueBP" said:
Like you weren't trying to visualize that.........

Not until you just made me!!

off to go visualizing the size of Sluggo's tool and how he works it.. :roll

"Kats66Pny" said:
Not until you just made me!!

off to go visualizing the size of Sluggo's tool and how he works it.. :roll

He grips it in his palm and then whacks the shaft as hard as he can! :hs And then his balls drop out of the joint. Seriously!!!

Got the coil springs removed last night. :thu

SpringRemoval.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
It wasn't kinked before I started trying to remove suspension stuff. All the brake lines are being replaced anyway when I do the disc brakes, so I wasn't being careful when hitting stuff with a BFH. :part

"Kats66Pny" said:
It wasn't kinked before I started trying to remove suspension stuff. All the brake lines are being replaced anyway when I do the disc brakes, so I wasn't being careful when hitting stuff with a BFH. :part

10-4...carry on!

Do they make repo spindles for 66?? Just curious because neither me nor my husband can remove any of the suspension/steering parts. The nuts are like melted/rusted and he's about to take the sawzall and start cutting stuff. :hide

"Kats66Pny" said:
Do they make repo spindles for 66?? Just curious because neither me nor my husband can remove any of the suspension/steering parts. The nuts are like melted/rusted and he's about to take the sawzall and start cutting stuff. :hide
Don't take a chance of messing up the spindles. You should be able to get stuff apart if done right. A sawzall is not "right"!

"Kats66Pny" said:
If your going to convert to disc brakes, just remove the UCA & LCA's from the car as an assembly with the spindles. I'd replace the LCA's as they are your ball joints also. The UCA's can be rebuilt but assembled UCA's are reasonably cheap. If you need to save any of that mess you could haul it over to a shop that has a torch and they could probably get it all apart with heat.

I told my husband not to touch or damage the spindles. So no worries, but I know that if by accident they get messed up, the kit I will be getting comes with them.

These two nuts won't budge. Tried torching the hell out of them. Nothing. When my husband tries, he moves the whole car and it's up on 4 jacks and it slides. That's how hard he's trying to get them loose. I told him to just leave it alone and I'll figure out some other way to get this stuff off.

Attachments

• Rusty.jpg
    59.6 KB · Views: 25
If you have an impact wrench that usually will do the trick. Stubborn fasteners like to be "shocked" loose. Just applying a lot of force with a wrench/ratchet doesn't do the job most times. Original V8 spindles have value so you can re-coup a few bucks selling them.

when you say "torch" is it an Oxy/Acetylene torch? Those little propane torches are useless except for lighting fireworks.

Back