• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

T5 Noise

mmw68

I've got a noise in my T5, and it's a burrrrr, or click, click, click - almost like a 2x4 across fan blades.

- It only happens when I put pressure on the clutch pedal. Even the slitest pressure, and all the way thru to the floor.
- It's goes up with RPM, when Iam shifting gear at speeds
- seems to be a little quieter after the car is hot

Now - everything was new when we put in the engine & tranny.

A few months ago we had this noise, and I took it to a very trusted tranny shop I use. The pulled everything out, and found that the fly wheel was touching the starter. So they shimmed the starter, and the noise went away.

Any Ideas? :shrug

Throw out bearing

pressure plate fingers

starter as you had before

Do you "feel" the noise in the pedal or anything?

I don't feel anything, I just hear this noise.

"AzPete" said:
Throw out bearing

pressure plate fingers

starter as you had before

Do you "feel" the noise in the pedal or anything?

Also bought a new spacer plate:

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/itemdy ... T1=AB40+01

BELLHOUSING SPACER PLATE, SB FORD T-5 CONVERSION
Bellhousing Spacer Plate for 6-bolt 289/302/351 Ford w/ T-5 5-speed Conversion using a late-model bellhousing.

This 1/16" steel plate is located between the bell housing and the engine block. Use when converting to a T-5 5-speed and using its late-model bellhousing.

Cable touching/rubbing anywhere? IIRC, Mustang Steve kit uses a shorter cable, I know the Ron Morris cable damn near runs from the firewall to the radiator support before it turns down and runs under the engine. Can you feel it in the pedal or just hear the noise?

It is the shorter cable, but it's not touching anything. I don't feel it in the pedal. I just hear the noise.

Throw out bearing I presume.
Maybe you can spray some lubricant on this bearing by pulling away the clutch cable dust cap.
Use a little ceramic lubricant and spray a little on the throw out bearing.
Watch out for overspray as it can ruins the clutch itself.
Did anybody did this too.
I think this method can be use to pinpoint the problem ( not solve ).

Sounds like it worth trying Bruno's idea as long as you can keep the spray away from the clutch surface. At worst case it would help eliminate one possibility.

Iam headed down to my friend's shop this am, to use his lift. I'll let you know what I find! Thanks - Mark

Here is what we found this morning, - it was busy at the shop, due to the annual "work on your own car" shop day at my friends' shop.

The noise is very repetitious. You could play music to the beat. It sounds like a bolt head or something?? Next step is to remove the starter and see if we can see anything. About about 3 months ago the noise went away when we replaced the starter with two washers to shim it out . Maybe the gear on the starter is not retracting enough? Or the headers heat is effecting it again?

Iam going to have to go back to the shop when there is not so many people around, just too much socializing going on this am.

I hope it's nothing serious. It seams odd to me that you would have to shim the starter. I have never heard of that on a Ford before.

There is a differents in starters if you have an automatic or manual gearbox/trans.
Any serious mustang catalog will tell you. :confu

"B67FSTB" said:
There is a differents in starters if you have an automatic or manual gearbox/trans.
Any serious mustang catalog will tell you. :confu
yes but I believe that it would be a problem starting if it was the wrong starter and not an issue with the clutch being pressed in.

I think that the nose of a starter for automatic is slightly longer then the nose of a starter for manual transmission.
I had this quirrel when i started the engine the first time after I changed from auto to a 5sp manual.
I didn't shim anything but looked it up in the catalog and had per accident one laying around.Lucky me.
Thats what I had encounter regarding starters and transmissions.

This may be far fetched but could you have too much play in the crank shaft. Pushing in the clutch could push the crank forward causing the flywheel to be hitting something.

Back