• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tailpipe extensions pics?

Dne'

Good morning!
I'm torn on tailpipe extensions! When I first had my exhaust installed, the exhaust guy talked me into the square look, I never did like it, the I wanted some extensions that fill the valance with an angle/oval look, but wound up with this larger than life look cause thats what he ordered. Most people that I show these to like this look, but I don't, otherwise I wouldn't pay attention when I walk around the rear of Wingnut.
I'd like to see some photos please of what y'all have. ; )

IMG_9304.jpg

What's on it now.
55f1659a.jpg

I don't like either option. It needs a larger square extension that fills up the indent area. I think Jeremy had something that looks good.

I dont like either. I would go with either the dual tips like on the 69s or an oval one.

I like those! It matches the angle of the valance. I was hoping to have that angle with kind of an oval shape to fill, but not overfill the valance and not look gaudy like the ones I have now. I guess the double wall just take up too much room, though they look neat, maybe not meant for this car.

"lethal289" said:
i went with the polished stainless magna flow tips.

166_05_07_09_11_05_09.JPG

I prefer the non rolled look myself and something that fits the opening shape in the valance. Not sure how these measure up to the opening but some ideas. Maybe a local shop has some you can try for the fit...

Summit...two different sizes/prices
hed-17140_41_w.jpg

(not the round one...)

HED-17170.jpg

70 Mach I rolled tips :thu

old pic during restoration:
4_31_05_10_10_55_18.JPG

current pic:
4_18_10_10_1_37_02.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have the same tailipipe end like Lethal289
I love them only I have to relocate them a bit higher.See pic.

Attachments

• bodyrear.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 18
Exhaust through the valance?

Kat, Isn't your exhaust supposed to exit through the valance for the '66? If I had thought about it, I would have liked my exhaust to exit that way, but don't even know if it's possible for the 67 to exit through the valance? I'm not going to do that, but looks so neat when exiting that way!

"Kats66Pny" said:
I like those! :thu

and I'm one of the owners that has no visible exhaust tips. :roll

Re: Exhaust through the valance?

"Dne'" said:
Kat, Isn't your exhaust supposed to exit through the valance for the '66? If I had thought about it, I would have liked my exhaust to exit that way, but don't even know if it's possible for the 67 to exit through the valance? I'm not going to do that, but looks so neat when exiting that way!

On my '68, I started the build with the same deluxe valance but then decided to I cut non deluxe valence to run Magnaflow 3" tips through the 65/66 chrome bezels. I think the leaf springs would normally get in the way of doing this with a straight pipe, but with coil overs, it gave me plenty of room to run the pipes straight through the valence. I also shaved the backup lights off the valence so it wouldn't look so cluttered. I think if you wanted to do this, you would have to use the 65-66 trumpet tips that have a bit of a jog built into them. Even the 67/8 dual outlet tips have dents in them to clear the leaf spring perch if I recall correctly.

tips.jpg

BTW, on the shelbys, they took the 65-66 bezels, cut them in half and then trimmed a stock valance and ran the round slant tips straight out much like they are routed on the deluxe rear panel, however, I don't think you could do that with a deluxe valance as the opening is probabaly already too large.

Just my opinion,... Since your car is more of a classic hot rod, I think the round slant tips like Jake's fit your theme... but I also really like cmayna's tips.

Neato!

Ah-hah! Coil overs! That's how you're able or pull off this through the valance method! I remember showing the exhaust man my leaf springs ans knew I was limited in tailpipe extensions. So far I have a couple here on my thread to imitate. But that through the valance is so James Bond looking!! LoL

quote author=stangg link=topic=14708.msg181640#msg181640 date=1321831494]
On my '68, I started the build with the same deluxe valance but then decided to I cut non deluxe valence to run Magnaflow 3" tips through the 65/66 chrome bezels. I think the leaf springs would normally get in the way of doing this with a straight pipe, but with coil overs, it gave me plenty of room to run the pipes straight through the valence. I also shaved the backup lights off the valence so it wouldn't look so cluttered. I think if you wanted to do this, you would have to use the 65-66 trumpet tips that have a bit of a jog built into them. Even the 67/8 dual outlet tips have dents in them to clear the leaf spring perch if I recall correctly.

tips.jpg

BTW, on the shelbys, they took the 65-66 bezels, cut them in half and then trimmed a stock valance and ran the round slant tips straight out much like they are routed on the deluxe rear panel, however, I don't think you could do that with a deluxe valance as the opening is probabaly already too large.

Just my opinion,... Since your car is more of a classic hot rod, I think the round slant tips like Jake's fit your theme... but I also really like cmayna's tips.
[/quote]

Re: Exhaust through the valance?

"Dne'" said:

I'm not sure how it suppose to look on a 66. :confu I don't think they are suppose to be visible with a regular valance back there. I know if you have a GT valance they have ones with cut outs for exhaust tips. Later on down the road, I will be adding the GT valance with the exhaust holes. I also need to redo my exhaust. The exhaust tips end under the car. They stop right before the rear axle. I don't like that. Makes it very loud when driving.

I agree 100% Kat. Get the exhaust end out from under the car. Not only noisy but it really puts a nice coating of exhaust grime on the bottom side.

"cmayna" said:
I agree 100% Kat. Get the exhaust end out from under the car. Not only noisy but it really puts a nice coating of exhaust grime on the bottom side.

Also a little dangerous from getting the exhaust gas inside the car.

Back