• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tell Me What You Think

"bravenrace" said:
And BTW, an 8" wheel is 1" wider than a 7" wheel, which means a 15x7" wheel with 4.25" backspacing locates the tire further inboard than an 8" wide wheel with 4.50" backspacing.

I don't think this is a correct statement... backspacing is irrelevent to wheel width. A rim with 4.5" backspacing will always go in further than a wheel with 4.25 backspacing. You might be confusing this with offset... A 7"W, 4.25 BS = .75" positive offset, 8"W 4.5 BS = .5" positve offset.

I'm replying the way I am because you keep making broad assumptions, telling me instead of asking me, and then not believing me when I correct you. In doing so, you appear to be considering me a moron. If you want to get into a pissing contest (I don't, BTW), I assure you I can hold my own.
As far as the wheel backspacing goes, you are correct about the tire, but your comments were specifically about backspacing, and so was my reply.
Let me be clear - MY TIRES DO NOT CONTACT ANY PART OF MY CAR DURING ANY PART OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL. THIS IS BECAUSE I VERY CAREFULLY SIZED THEM FOR MY CAR. YES, THERE IS SOMETHING THAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT THE LOOK, BUT ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T FIT. OKAY???

"stangg" said:
I don't think this is a correct statement... backspacing is irrelevent to wheel width. A rim with 4.5" backspacing will always go in further than a wheel with 4.25 backspacing. You might be confusing this with offset... A 7"W, 4.25 BS = .75" positive offset, 8"W 4.5 BS = .5" positve offset.

The centerline of a 7" wheel with 4.25" bs will be 1/4" further inboard than an 8" wheel with 4.50" backspacing. This means that the outside lip of the wheel will be further inboard than that of the corresponding 8" wheel. The inside lip will be further outboard, but we were discussing the tire in relation to the wheel well lip, which would be the outside.

Easy trigger, I think you titled this "Tell me what you think" and not "Tell me what I want to hear". Chill a little. I think TERRY is on to something with the look. LET ME BE CLEAR--I'M NOT SAYING YOUR TIRES DON'T FIT. However, the rear fills the area a lot. It may not be too wide, but does it look too wide for your liking?

What's probably bother your eye from a visual appear perspective is the very large difference in sidewall front to back. If you moved up an inch in rim size in the rear and down a spec in sidewall you would have the same size and less sidewall giving it a more balanced visual look. I still say it looks good as is though

Two wheels:

1. 7x15 with 4.25" BS
2. 8x15 with 4.50"BS

Tire 1 has a front space of 2.75"
Tire 2 has a front space of 3.50"

This means that the outboard lip of the 7" wheel is located .75" closer to the mounting flange than that of the 8" wheel. Now, I know that given the way wheels are dimensioned that my numbers for front space aren't totally accurate, but for an A to B comparison I believe they are.

"bravenrace" said:
I'm replying the way I am because you keep making broad assumptions, telling me instead of asking me, and then not believing me when I correct you. In doing so, you appear to be considering me a moron. If you want to get into a pissing contest (I don't, BTW), I assure you I can hold my own.
Let me be clear - MY TIRES DO NOT CONTACT ANY PART OF MY CAR DURING ANY PART OF SUSPENSION TRAVEL. THIS IS BECAUSE I VERY CAREFULLY SIZED THEM FOR MY CAR. YES, THERE IS SOMETHING THAT BOTHERS ME ABOUT THE LOOK, BUT ITS NOT BECAUSE THEY DON'T FIT. OKAY???
Whatever. I'm sorry I tried to help. I promise I won't do it again. After this and your responses in your Borgeson thread I'm sure I won't be alone.

"dodgestang" said:
What's probably bother your eye from a visual appear perspective is the very large difference in sidewall front to back. If you moved up an inch in rim size in the rear and down a spec in sidewall you would have the same size and less sidewall giving it a more balanced visual look. I still say it looks good as is though
"blue65coupe" said:
Easy trigger, I think you titled this "Tell me what you think" and not "Tell me what I want to hear". Chill a little. I think TERRY is on to something with the look. LET ME BE CLEAR--I'M NOT SAYING YOUR TIRES DON'T FIT. However, the rear fills the area a lot. It may not be too wide, but does it look too wide for your liking?

When I look at it, it looks like I should raise the rear so that the distance between the tire and the wheel lip is the same front and rear.

"dodgestang" said:

That may be. The problem is that if I do what you are saying it's going to result in a look that I'm not after, at least if I'm picturing it correctly.

"bravenrace" said:
The centerline of a 7" wheel with 4.25" bs will be 1/4" further inboard than an 8" wheel with 4.50" backspacing. This means that the outside lip of the wheel will be further inboard than that of the corresponding 8" wheel. The inside lip will be further outboard, but we were discussing the tire in relation to the wheel well lip, which would be the outside.

No offense, but go look up backspacing and I think you will agree with the statements I've made.

"Offset" is the distance between the hub mounting surface and wheel's centerline.

"Backspacing" is the distance between the hub mounting surface and the inward facing wheel lip.

A larger backspace number will always move the wheel inboard regardless of rim width. 4.5 B/S will always be 1/4" further in than 4.25...

"blue65coupe" said:
I'd photoshop it and be done with it.

Oh yeah, that way he can just carry a full size paper pic of the car around with him.

What a DA.

"silverblueBP" said:
Oh yeah, that way he can just carry a full size paper pic of the car around with him.

What a DA.
That's not a bad idea. I should do that too since mine will never be back on the road under it's own power...but at least it looks like it will remain mine.

"Horseplay" said:
That's not a bad idea. I should do that too since mine will never be back on the road under it's own power...but at least it looks like it will remain mine.

You have a Mustang??

"silverblueBP" said:

What a DA.

At least it will look like he wants. Hell, print 5 different ones!! Want 4" backspacing one day with a 17? Done. Want 4.5" with a 18? Done. No offset with a 15?????????????????????????? Yep, got it. Lower, raise, chop, extend, the options are endless and you have exactly what you want when you want it. DB

"stangg" said:
No offense, but go look up backspacing and I think you will agree with the statements I've made.

"Offset" is the distance between the hub mounting surface and wheel's centerline.

"Backspacing" is the distance between the hub mounting surface and the inward facing wheel lip.

A larger backspace number will always move the wheel inboard regardless of rim width. 4.5 B/S will always be 1/4" further in than 4.25...

Okay, I'll try to explain this again.
First, backspacing and offset are not mutually exclusive. If everything else is equal, a change in one affects a change in the other.
Second, we were discussing the outboard edge of the wheel, not the inboard edge, and there's a difference.
Yes, 4.5" backspacing will always put the INBOARD edge of the wheel 1/4" further inboard than a wheel with 4.25" backspacing. I never disagreed with that. But consider the OUTBOARD edge of the wheel. We were talking about a 15x7 wheel with 4.25 BS versus a 15x8 wheel with 4.5 BS.
The 8 wheel had .25 more BS, but it's 1" wider. If you position the wheel .25" further inboard, but then add 8" to that to the OUTBOARD side, the OUTBOARD edge of the wheel ends up .75" further OUTBOARD than it is with the 7" wide wheel.
Hopefully that clears that up.

Just a couple things. One, please forgive me for my poor attitude in some of the replies I made in this thread. There are reasons, but no excuses, and I apologize. Horseplay and I have PM'd and all is well there, but I just needed to say it to everyone else. And thanks very much for your suggestions.
Two - Yesterday I jacked the back end of the car up ~1 inch so that the gap between the tire and the wheel lip was equal to that of the front. Bingo! That's what I was looking for!
Another thing that is bothering are the tires, which just don't have the look I'm looking for. But I plan on having two sets of wheels/tires, so these will be my cruising set, since they drive and ride really nice, and I'll get something else more performance oriented/looking for the other set. I was planning on getting new rear springs anyway, so I'll just get standard eye in place of the mid-eye's I have now. I'll post some pics when I get it all worked out to see if you agree. Thanks again!

Actually the only problem I see is that the white lettering on the tires are not oriented the same front to back... of course I love the header - muffler look... reminds me of my 70 Torino back in High School...

Back