• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Thawed a turkey by mistake this week so it is headed to the smoker tonight

copasspupil

Donator
Yearly throw out the old and great excuse to buy more right?? I forgot to place the extra turkey I bought over Thanksgiving back in the freezer so time for it to go in my belly. Caribbean style smoked bird today. I brined it with apple cider, salt, sugar, and a jar of my habanero sauce I got and some spices. I'm taking it out of the brine at 5 tonight, need to make the glazing liquid and off to the smoker. Should be finished tomorrow morning just in time to bring it to work and eat and watch the games!!

The habanero sauce is a vinegar based sauce with sugar and a crap load of those lovely orange peppers

The rub will be this:
2 tablespoons kosher salt
2 teaspoons brown sugar
2 teaspoons garlic powder
2 teaspoons onion powder
2 teaspoons ground allspice
1 teaspoon crushed dried hot pepper
1 teaspoon dried chives
1 teaspoon paprika
1 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1 teaspoon ground ginger
1/2 teaspoon dried thyme
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/2 teaspoon ground cloves

The liquid use will be:
1/3 cup olive oil
1/3 cup distilled white vinegar
1/2 cup orange juice
1/2 cup lime juice
1/2 cup molasses
1/4 cup soy sauce
1 bunch cilantro, leaves chopped
4 green onions, chopped
2 cloves garlic, chopped
1 Scotch bonnet
3 bay leaves
3 peppercorns
1-inch piece cinnamon, crushed
2 tablespoons ground sage
1 tablespoon ground thyme
1 tablespoon ground allspice
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg

Pics in the morning...

I had an issue at midnight where the smokers must have been sleeping on the job. The pellets kept coming out and not burning so much to my neighbors delight I had to take it apart at 24* and fix it I just checked the temp and am 5* away from being done here the pick...

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.9 MB · Views: 60
Well my belly is full and satisfied. Yes it was freakish good. Loved the rub and brine but I think I'd change the liquid a bit. To be specific I used the whole orange and limes in my vitamix and I'd just use the juice only next time and possibly add a little rub in between the skin and muscle.

Between 3 adults and a few kids the breast section are gone

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 51
looks GOOD !

my wife bought me a smoker and I have no idea how to get started with it... any suggestions on something foolproof for my first attempt? was thinking brisket and some ABTs but open to any ideas.

Geez Steve nothing like going large first time out. I'd try something easy and cheap so if it turns out bad. You can just throw it out and not worry about it. As far as rubs go, I was always afraid to make my own but it is not hard just practice Vinegars will break down muscle. Salt travels into muscle by way of the doors with the muscle. They open up the storage doors within the cell and bring in the flavor

Like Craig said what kind of grill did you get?

"copasspupil" said:
Like Craig said what kind of grill did you get?

+1 A good go to for first cook would be pinic shoulder or Boston butt, make it into pulled pork. If you would like to do this I can post mote specific derails just let me know.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

thanks for the responses...

smoker is a relatively inexpensive Masterbuilt 30 electric unit from Bass Pro. Did not want to invest a lot yet because I am not sure how this endeavor is going to turn out...

I have a crapload of rubs in my pantry from grilling, several I like and will try those 1st in the smoker.

will definitely check out that forum, many thanks. maybe some inexpensive chicken thighs or a turkey breast for my first attempt, eh?

2 questions for now...
does the meat go in the smoker on a tray or directly on the grates?
use a water bowl or not? I have seen conflicting opinions on this

thanks for the help on my new smoking adventure

I've been looking for one of those Masterbuilt 30s since before Christmas. Seems everywhere around here is sold out. My father in law gave me 3 sacks of hickory chunks, and a bag each of cherry and peach, so I'm ready to do up a few more batches of ribs.
I can't give any pointers on poultry since I mostly smoke pork ribs, but here's my .02.
Meat goes on the rack, and I use a water bowl.

I smoke the ribs at 225* for 3 hours.
I pull them, give them a dusting of brown sugar, then wrap them in foil. I pour some apple juice in before closing the foil. Then back on the cooker for another 1.5-2 hrs.
Pull them again, and use the liquid from the foil wrap as a baste. Coat them up and back on the cooker for another hour, basting them every 15 mins or so.
After they get to an internal temp of 190-200 for at least 15 minutes, I pull them then cover with foil till ready to eat. I usually let them sit for 10-15 minutes.
I've done this with every rack of ribs I've smoked, and every time they've come out fall off the bone tender.

"steveh326" said:
2 questions for now...
does the meat go in the smoker on a tray or directly on the grates?
use a water bowl or not? I have seen conflicting opinions on this

thanks for the help on my new smoking adventure

Placement of meat will typically be dictated by the type and cut of meat. All my fish and poultries typically go directly onto the grate with a drip pan below it. The usage of water is also dictated by the type of meat. I never use water with fish but have used it when I've smoked a spiral cut ham.

If I was to do a turkey, I'd place it directly on a grate after I inject it with a marinade and apply a rub on the outside. Drip pan with water 1-2 grates below. Keep an eye on the water level for it will evaporate big time.

"Gigantopithecus" said:
I've been looking for one of those Masterbuilt 30s since before Christmas. Seems everywhere around here is sold out. My father in law gave me 3 sacks of hickory chunks, and a bag each of cherry and peach, so I'm ready to do up a few more batches of ribs.

Thanks everyone...
I lucked out in that my neighbor had this smoker his son had bought at basspro, used once and decided it was more work than he wanted to do, so my wife got it cheap. I have oak, mesquite, and jack daniels chips for it right now.

Thanks for all the suggestions and info above. I have NEVER been able to get my ribs to come out to suite me on my grill, really hoping the smoker will resolve that.

The 3-2-1 method works wonders for ribs. 3 hour smoke, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour no smoke. It's a good start, but might take some tweaking of the cook times.

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

"Gigantopithecus" said:
The 3-2-1 method works wonders for ribs. 3 hour smoke, 2 hours wrapped, 1 hour no smoke. It's a good start, but might take some tweaking of the cook times.

+1 depending on what ribs you are cooking, I prefer to pull the membrain off my full racks.

Sent from my VS980 4G using Tapatalk

As do I. I cook the bigger slabs for a full 2 hours covered, as opposed to the hour and a half for smaller cuts.

Am I still on StangFix or did I go into SMF by mistake.....???

Awesome that both hobbies have somewhat merged.

I trim my ribs before cooking, the dogs need treats too! I also separate beef ribs. I think that it allows more surface area for caramelized sauce and char from the gas grill finish. I cook in the smoker about 200* four hours then on the gas grill with home made sauce and finish cooking.

As for info and help, Craig sent me the the smokingmeatsforum and it is as awesome as this site!

Mel

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Attachments

• uploadfromtaptalk1389456850719.jpg
    uploadfromtaptalk1389456850719.jpg
    43.6 KB · Views: 15
"Grabber70Mach" said:
"Gigantopithecus" said:

off my full racks.

ewwww! Man boobs

Back