• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

The Biggining of the end to the other site?

MarkStang

When the owner of an online site posts a political view could that eliminate half of the participants?
It seems like political suicide. What could the benefit be. Would anyone ever vote based on what a forum owner would push. (no gain there)
Would anyone stop visiting the site based on the political push? No gain for him there)

This clearly seems like a 50% loose/loose :doh

You know, I had a similar thought when I pulled up that site this morning and saw that video posted on the front page. I'm pretty sure that one of the rules of that site is no political discussion, yet that video can't be interpreted as anything but. Gotta say I wasn't pleased with the thought process that went into that decision.

He had it on the front page last night and it turned (a now deleted thread) in to a 7 page bitch session. If you missed it, it was hilarious. I got on about page 5 but you had a couple really showing their butt. I think Bob did it to prove a point more than anything. If it is his political view and he's not giving a forum for good debate, they he's an idiot. I think though, it was for everyone to have a moment to "let off steam". I'm sure every mod was watching it and laughing their rears off. Brian even chimed in at one point. Hilarity did ensue.

I could see if he had not locked down the original thread and allowed comments. Also, he posted no comments of his own saying if it was a funny he put up or his views. In regards to the political side of no posting, I feel he was dead wrong even if it is his ball. If he cannot or will not follow the rules, how can he expect others to do so? Oh well, not the only fish out there........

While I agree with the message, he should not have posted it on that site.

I agree that it shouldn't be there if he's gonna lay out some rules and expect us to abide by them but hey, it's his playground. Oh well. I would even disagree if he had put the "Joe the Plumber" interview on there........and I don't agree with the message in that one. But, we can go there in Farts.

For those of us that were incessantly switching back and forth between MNF and game 5 of the WS last night.... and missed the VMF action.... can one of you all explain what happened with more detail?

Bob posted the Opie, Andy, Fonz video supporting Obama and locked it...even put the vid on the front page. Topic started questioning why he did that when he specifically states "no politics". It turned into a 7 page free for all. I think all the mods were lurking and laughing letting everyone have their time. It got pulled late (I left after 1 am) but entailed some good stuff, some idiots, etc. It was pretty funny to egg some people on. It was total hypocrisy on Boob's part and the video is still in General

Here is a little depth into my thoughts. The following for me is purely coincidental in nature but are a reality.
I am closing on a refinancing today and will be in a much better financial position. I have been planing to contribute to the other site in a larger sum than I have on a regular basis.

I am a real person with deep seated beliefs regarding my views of opportunity and responsibility lying within each person, blame and responsibility does not belong to some one else.

Short version of my resume.

1. I made a stick with a nail in it and cleaned the local circle race track (ALL OF IT, BLEACHERS TO PIT) for 5 dollars TOTAL every Sunday.1974

2. I pumped gas and stocked shelves at a country store 2.95 an hour 1975-1979

3. I delivered entrance carpets for a 35 cent per comision Southwest Michigan 1979-1981

4. Roto Ruter Poop pumper truck 4.35 an hour 1981

5. Patient support services (Hospital) 8.00 an hour 1981-1982

6. After living in a 1970 Pick up truck for 2 months (never collecting a dime from the government) I became a Disney character 4.00-12.95 an hour from 1982-2006

7. Fine dinning server 65K 2007 till now.

I do not believe in redistribution of wealth.
I do believe in responsibility of your own financial decisions and have clearly paved my own path to success.
I do not wish to support in any way the promotion of laziness of others to receive finances from workers with absolutely no effort. This does not promote ANY incentive and increases the US/Them world. Not good for self respect.
I have earned my right to view a personal and educated view of "you get out of life what you put into life"

How ever in a world of terrorists my view comes to a simple and more important decision.

Who Would our Enemies want elected?

The answer has always been neither one to our enemies.
This time for the first time I believe they would pick one for sure.
That scares me.

So to conclude: If I owned a site that needs financial support , I believe it strange to "Appear" to be anything but Neutral. To swing one way or the other might eliminate funds for sure.
The average viewer on these sites are generally intelligent and are not swing voters. Our minds are already made up on sound beliefs one way or the other. A posting laid before the viewers this late in the game would have an extremely low effect on the voting undecideds even if it was on an internet site that was political.
But...this is on a car site that caters and depends on BOTH and ALL sides of people for the funding and continual support of a mutual respect of classic cars. Too keep the waters calm would be seemingly smart.

I wish not to be presumptuous. He never stated his view. He laid a puzzling , curious and debatable seed. Interesting to say the least. But not unrecoverable. Possibly self damaging.
I love open debating. What I see however is not free to the viewer, not by the rules outlined but certainly free to the owner at a risk.

Well said. Did I miss if you will still contribute more or even the same to the other site?

Wow Mark,
I am privileged to share your first name! Listening to you is like hearing my own echo.

I do think that the video was an attempt at humor that detonated like a "nucular" bomb.

I went to bed :)

I was about the 3rd person on the first page at the launch of the Titanic.

I am pretty consistent when it comes to reality and respect. Judgment of other people is risky and probably immoral.

I can happily say I will still contribute to the other site because it has a very very good source of info that I owe more than I could ever repay.

doing right is doing right and looking paste my gut feelings is probably a sign of my maturing.

I am however finding this site just as enjoyable.

The 16 year old started to. We shut him down pretty quick so we could keep it going. Dude can't even vote and by the end he was labeled a sexist racist extremist.

Notice now that it is being told as a funny post and locked to prevent those who could not keep silent from commenting. Still political and against the rules for the rest of the board, funny or not, it could have been handled with a statement of explanation. Guess no one commented huh.......

When I saw the video on the front page, my blood started to boil. WTF was Bob trying to accomplish? Figured there would be many filing a complaint of some sort so I didn't bother. Sure enough......

Back