• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Time for a new BBQ. Need some help.

68EFIvert

I have always been a gas BBQ mainly due to the convenience. I haven't ever smoked things but have done some slow cooking of chicken. My wife and I are looking at getting a new BBQ. I was looking at a Napoleon, Weber or Broil King. That was until I went to a store and they showed/told me about Big Green Egg.

Do any of you own any of the above mentioned gas grills or a BGE? How difficult is it to cook with a Kamado style smoker/grill? Do they heat up as fast as a gas grill. I am looking for convenience but some of the features of the BGE and its durability have peaked my interest.

I am open to other suggestions. I have a budget of $2,000 I want to stay under. I want something that will last longer than 4-5 years like all my previous grills have. HELP PLEASE!

Wow, I would really have a hard time spending that kind of money on a BBQ. Most of my BBQs last me 4-5 years after spending $400-$500 on each one.

TapaYakin' from my iPhone

I can't give much input on the gas grill, as I have one but hate it. I generally use my weber charcoal kettle grill. I like actual flavor when grilling :nut

However, I can give input on the egg as I've cooked quite a bit on one at a family members house. It will last forever, cooks pretty much everything well, uses little fuel when smoking (once heated). Only downside is that IMO it takes a little while to heat up, lots of thermal mass there. The Weber kettle has the same cooking benefits IMO, w/o the heat up time. It does take more attention when smoking, however.

I am a dealer for Weber, Treager and the Big Green Egg. I have all three on my deck and BBQ often. I have not used the Weber or Treager for months if that tells you something. Once you start using them you will never go back. PM me if you have any questions. I also make custom tables for them.

Attachments

• photo.JPG
    473.4 KB · Views: 157
Thanks for the info on the BGE. I made up my mind that I am going to get one. In fact I was heading down to the dealer when you wrote the post. They were supposed to have some in today but the delivery truck broke down. It looks like I will have to go over tomorrow to get it. I will get a few accessories while I am at it. I will get the Large grill. My original thought was to get the XL size but that thing is more than I need. I will also build a table. That is actually one thing that nudged me in the direction of a BGE. I think It will be built out of cedar but have a granite top so it would be easier to clean stuff off of. I know a place that could cut the granite and I hope that they have a remnant that would be large enough.

The large egg is all you need. Also when you build the cedar table add fire brick under the egg.
The extra items you want to get are;
Grill Gripper
Plate setter
Eggcelerator
You'll love the Egg.

You might want to look at the Primo grills. Very close to the BGE. I own 2 Webers and a traeger - Smith and Wesson line of them. My old Medical Director use to say... No matter how hard you try, you can't put a shine on a turd.

It all depends on your skill level. Are you one that has time to kill or need it fast is really the question to ask yourself. If it is quick - Weber. If you have the time and willing to try something new, by all means try the low and slow route. Just don't try and bite off more than you can chew. I use both for a reason. Different food preps/procedures call for different routes to do it. I cook for 30+ people quite a bit so I need the space and grills.

Ideally, I would like to have a fire/pizza oven, a walk in smoke shack for longer smoking methods/curing, a gas grill along with a smoker.

I picked up the grill on Friday, built the cart on Saturday and sealed it on Sunday. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I still may put a granite top on bot for now I just want to us it. Thanks for the help.
43a09787-69a9-7cfb.jpg

"68EFIvert" said:
I picked up the grill on Friday, built the cart on Saturday and sealed it on Sunday. I am pretty happy with how it turned out. I still may put a granite top on bot for now I just want to us it. Thanks for the help.
43a09787-69a9-7cfb.jpg
That was fast! Looks great.

Just curious (I've never used a BGE)...how do you get rid of the ash?

"Midlife" said:
Just curious (I've never used a BGE)...how do you get rid of the ash?

You have to haul ash :steer

My neighbor got one of these but it was a differnt brand and not the green, he really likes it. If I can afford it I will replace my big smoker with one of these, I only use 1/2 the cooking surface and cook for 3-12 at most. I prefer the task from smoking and don't care for gas, haven't used gas in 15+ yrs. don't mind taking my time and drinking a few while it smokes....
Jon

To clean it out you access the vent at the bottom with a small shovel tool. It is basically a piece of angle iron on a handle. Scoop it into a dust pan that has an edge the same curvature as the outside of the grill and then dump the cool ashes in the garden. It burns very effeciently. I am amazed how little ashes there was. I may only need to clean it a few times a year.

I cooked some pork chops last night with frozen corn on the cobb. The flavor was light years better than the old gas BBQ I had been using. I marinated the chops in Itallian dressing, salt and pepper for about 3 hours before grilling. Good stuff even though I overcooked them about 2 minutes!

The temp is controlled by the upper an lower vent. Pretty easy to adjust and you can see the change in temp almost immediatly. It holds the temp really well but what I have to remember is when you open the grill top the top vent closes. I either have to make it harder to move or readjust the vent when I flip or look at it. I plan on cooking some nice steaks on Thursday. I will cook those babies at 700 degrees. Ruth Chris's has nothing on me now! Maybe I'll make some burgers tonight. This is going to be fun!

"68EFIvert" said:
It holds the temp really well but what I have to remember is when you open the grill top the top vent closes. I either have to make it harder to move or readjust the vent when I flip or look at it.

The one I use doesn't do that. Maybe something that can be changed?

It has a nut on the top I need to tighten until there is tension. Once I do that I think it will be fine.

I had a New Branfels (Texas) brand grill/smoker and I LOVED it !! I wish I still had it. Now youve got me thinking I need to go get a new BBQ grill before summer gets here. Nothing beats the taste of real wood-fired flesh, not that a candy-@ss gas grill doesnt has a place on a man's deck. Just a secondary place. I will even look at the BGE just because I dont know anything about them.

"68EFIvert" said:
43a09787-69a9-7cfb.jpg

Looks great. That's some fast work. Never have I heard of the BGE round here but I plan on checking on it.

Once you have had a BGE you will never go back. I have made beer can chicken, burgers, BBQ ribs, pork chops, chicken breasts, rib eye and most recently a Papa Murphy's pizza. All turned out good. I tend to cook things a little too long. I just need to learn when to take if off the grill. :confu I guess I'll learn that one by the time summer comes around. I am glad I made the purchase. It is well worth the money.

Back