• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Time to replace the starter?

Kats66Pny

Well its Friday and thought I'd take Gertie out for a drive. I thought wrong.

It's been doing this lately and after a while, it eventually started. I only messed with for about 10 minutes and then gave up and just drove my other mustang to take daughter to class this afternoon.

Ignore the obnoxiously loud holley fuel pump.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4QGdL9qYC8

That does not sound like a starter issue.....sounds like the engine is turning over just fine.......

+1

Since it eventually started I'd say you have a carb/fuel issue. If you had a timing issue it wouldn't just fix itself and start. When it is cranking and not starting have someone give a quick shot of "starting fluid" down into the carb and see if it fires.

From my trained :Mark , Its ign problems.
A shot of eather will show if a weak spark is there.
No fire means there is no spark at all.

Still having electrical gremlins. :roul

Oh yeah, speaking of carb... when trying to start it, you'll get a backfire through the carb. Someone told me that's a sign the carb needs adjusting.
Could that be a possible issue with it not starting?

If you get a backfire, you have at least some fuel and certainly a spark. Backfiring through the carb is about your spark/timing not the carb. Could be timing is just a bit off but I think it's more than that. Might be in need of some all around tuning but you probably have something electrical a miss.

Fire beleching is a sign of timing or ign off.
Its a lighting of the gas fumes in the intake or exhaust while a valve is open
and not on the compression stroke of that cyl.

Not knowing the specs of the cam may make it hard to get a solid timing position. Might just go by sound, how it performs, and plug condition.

Sounds like a general tune up is needed......just the labor end.....as I believe you have good plugs, wires and filters.

I have no box. I have a ready to run MSD dizzy. Spark plugs, and wires are new.

Hmmm.. so I tired starting it up again, gave it a little go-go juice and she eventually started. :wtf

...but it just doesn't sound..... normal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wXcIPh_F0yo

When I took the motor out and took it apart, I forgot to mark the dizzy (oops), so when it was time to put the motor back in, we, had to set it. He had it open, and was doing something with top dead center or whatever and then he had to turn it and well.. here's a video it.
Notice is sounds different of course in this video, its open headers. Now that I watch that video again, it sounds the same when trying to start. Wouldn't start until he turned the dizzy a little.

http://s904.photobucket.com/albums/ac24 ... CF0169.mp4

Idle is a bit low for that cam but is sure sounds neat....like the one I had two cars ago.

Playing with the dist. to get it to start is not right. Initially fine....but it needs to be set correct.

I would clean the plugs and check the gap. Then set the timing and carb.....

What is your idle rpm when running? Your "normal" video has a faster idle setting than your "problem" video, for sure. I'm guessing you have a number of things going on starting with your distributor position/timing. It doesn't hurt to check plug gaps. I suspect you also could use some carb tuning.

If I were you, I'd take it to a shop/skilled tech to do a thorough tune on it. Get it on a dyno and let them tune it that way.

I'd also lose that annoying Holley pump. I put up with one for years on my first mustang. There are a lot better options today. Unless you like that buzz!

No clue on idle rpm. No tach. I tried having someone adjust the timing not long ago, but they said they couldn't because I have no timing tab. Guess I'll have to go buy one. I know a carb guy that can help with the carb. As for the dyno... I'll have to look into that.

What woman doesn't like the buzz? :part Seriously though, it's on the to-do list to change out. It doesn't help either that its under the car near the rear seat/gas tank is and I have no insulation (dynomat or carpet or anything).

Kat,

You need to have it all done by the same source. Your carb guy can't really set your carb up if the timing is not right, for example. You've got a healthy cam in it now and tuning it for idle, cruise and fun is not so simple. Spend the money on getting it tuned professionally and you'll have a much better mannered ride. Otherwise, you'll end up chasing demons for a long time.

Well, I am just going to put another +1.......great minds....ya know.

I just remembered to that you do not need a timing tab to time an engine unless one is using a very old light and cannot make chalk marks on the engine pulley and block.....it can be done by a good mechanic.

Kat:
What sequence do you use to start the car? Do you fully depress the gas pedal at all before cranking? Once, twice, a lot, not at all?

Just curious...

"Midlife" said:
Kat:
What sequence do you use to start the car? Do you fully depress the gas pedal at all before cranking? Once, twice, a lot, not at all?

Just curious...

Turn battery on
Sit in car, turn key to ACC to let fuel pump kick on for a few seconds
Turn key to ON and give it a little gas.

Back