• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tip for replacing '67 mirror bracket

johnpro

My daughter's rear view mirror bracket looked horrible because it was so pitted. The PO did all the hard/expensive stuff on the interior ... new seat covers, new headliner, new carpet, and new door panels, but didn't do the simple stuff like the window cranks and mirror bracket. I don't understand some people, but that's another story I guess.

I bought the Scott Drake mirror bracket. Looks great, doesn't work worth a damn. The '67 bracket is a 2 part bracket, with the bracket that snaps into the base. On the Scott Drake repro, it doesn't snap in tightly, so it ends up make a very wobbly, bouncy mirror.

I found that if you take it apart, and replace the spring loaded pins in the bracket with the original pins and spring, it fits tight and works perfectly.

Just thought I'd share, in case anyone else runs into the issue.

I'm gonna try this, my repop mirror bracket comes apart every time I try to adjust the mirror. I was ready to put the old nasty one back on!

I had the same damn problem, and I just filled the underlying loose gap with JB Weld. Now it's rock solid.

POS Repo crap.... but at least the chrome looks decent.

I've heard the same thing several times. When I get around to it, I'll probably end up forking the # for a used or NOS piece.

Cool tip! Last one, I think I folded up a a piece of paper and wedged it in the pin to make a tighter fit.

Let's not even get started discussing the repro mirrors! One could get nauseous watching one of those!

I paid $55 for a good original mirror. Mine was loosing the reflective stuff. I've seen the repro junk and decided to look for a original. My chrome was crap, the metal pitted even on the bracket. The window cranks and other stuff was all decent but the rear view mirror bracket sucks. I even contemplated going with a 68 or later glue on mirror. I switched the pins and spring last night. Still a little wobbly. The original spring is longer and the pins aren't machined as deep so at least it won't fall off anymore. I will look at what I can do to improve the wobble. Great tip though, I hadn't considered swapping the pins and spring out...

Back