• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Took the 68 to the track on Saturday

And blew the stroker :expl

Actually broke two pistons and ruined the block. The machine shop and several others say it was from ring seizure. The only thing I didn't do myself was gap the rings and put the pistons in the holes. I did everything else. I guess the old goat who helped me forgot to read the specs for a blower/pump gas application. No worries, I am on the look out for a replacement block and new pistons. I should be able to re use everything else.
toasted028.jpg
toasted032.jpg
toasted035.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Ouch Mike, that really sucks. Hope it doesn't take too long to get it back on the road.

You know Mike, after watching that video you posted, you may want to check with the wife and make sure there was no sabotage.......... :doh

No noise what so ever excepts for the missing. There was massive blow by and the two blown head gaskets contributed to that as well. The head gaskets blew upward into the lifter valley. The pistons were JE. It wasn't the pistons fault, the rings were not gapped properly and when the piston got hot and expanded they seized at the top of the cylinder and broke the pistons.

I've never seen the Mustangs being raced at the track. Do you guys like have the motor up at super high revs, or what kind of speeds/rpms do you run at? I used to do trackdays on my Sportbikes/trackbikes (TWS, MSRH, Cresson, etc), so I know what motorcycles can do. Is it often that someone's motor messes up while on the track?

looked like fun!

Thanks! that looked like exciting fun!(except for the motor messup)! You'll probably be out there again very soon! :pep and with a much stronger motor??
dne'

Man, sorry to hear about that one.

I hate it when my car is off the road so hoping you get yours back up and running soon. Mine has been off the road two weeks now I am starting to get cranky...feel for ya.

Good news. I found a 94 roller engine for $150. The block is in the machine shop as we speak. They have already started their end of the work. I took it in on Wednesday. Thursday they already had it hot tanked and magnafluxed. They will check the block for square as well. If needed, they will square deck and line hone. I'm also having the heads and block resurfaced to at least 50RA so I can use Cometic MLS head gaskets. I went through 3 sets of different FelPros. I'll be ordering Mahle dished pistons when the heads are done. When I get the pistons, I'll have the whole assembly balanced.

Are your worried about the stock roller block holding up to the power you will be making. I know a new Boss block or aftermarket block are expensive but it may be worth it. Just a thought.

It sounds like you will be up and running in no time. :nice

"Fast68back" said:
Nah, his wife said he can't drive like that anymore, so its all just for show...........

:rofl Somehow I can believe that!!

Back