• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Took the Plunge

O

opentrackerSteve

and ordered a Primo XL Oval grill, teak table, cast iron divider, cover and a 20 lb bag of lump charcoal.

Items should arrive today at the store. Unfortunately, I won't be able to pick it up until Saturday as work is nutso.

pics coming when I have my grubbies on the material.

Here are pics of the grill.

Today - assemble the table and get some food on it!

I also bought the drip pan racks, ceramic liners (for baking and smoking) and a turkey stand.

I hope to post my first meal being cooked in it this evening!

68EFIvert - yep. it's the Made in USA version of the Big Green Egg. It's also oval shaped which works out well.

Worked on putting it into the teak table yesterday and opened the lid and it fell onto the ground and broke. There is a strap that holds the top onto a hinge assembly and it must have been loose.

I am going to call the salesman first thing this morning.

That was very depressing to have that happen last night - I had ribeye steaks ready and had to cook them on the old bbq last night.... I am hoping to get a replacement lid today. 8^(

Update:

I contacted the store where I purchased this and they immediately contacted the manufacturer. The store heard back from Primo after they looked at the pictures, and Primo should be shipping a replacement lid from Georgia and I should hear back today on that it's been confirmed that it shipped.

Unfortunately, because the lid will be freight trucked (no ups or Fedex as they'd destroy these items), I suspect I won't see the lid until late next week. So, I'll have to break in (no pun intended, believe me!) the new grill late this year.

I also have this little creation headed my way - I've seen some youtube videos using these sort of controllers and can'y wait to cook a splatchcock chicken or turkey or some baby back ribs. When this gets set up, we'll be able to monitor things on the computer, iphone or ipad at home or away for those long cooks...... :sm_BBQ

That sucks about the lid but at least they are taking care of you. I would be interested in your product review for the monitor. Look pretty cool.

Got the replacement lid (and a new base - matched set). Assembled the grill and smoked some salmon and tilapia on it this past Sunday. Threw some apple wood on the coals and wow.

I set the grill temp to 200 deg F and the meat thermometers to 145 deg F. Wowee. Tender, juicy and a little smoke flavoring. Yummm!

Pic below of completed assembly...

they look like it. Primo actually makes one that is fitted for the grill. Once I get the other items I've ordered (cast iron grate, griddle, second deck rack and use them I'll definitely get a rib rack, but probably get the Primo brand item that fits the machine.

Back