• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Torque box question

Iron40

Hi guy I have a question regarding replacing the driver side torque bx on my 66 vert all the rest of the body work has been done I need to know what is best way to support the car for this work and what type of bracing I need if any. The floors are solid quarters rockers trunk even cowl was done already I have this last part of the body to do and need a little help thnx in advance :dun

support under the rear axle and the front frame rails? Cant imagine any unique bracing required.

Tapayakin' from my iphone

I don't think you want the suspension loaded for this repair. Since your dealing with removal and replacement of structural member, I would lean towards using 6 jackstand under the unibody itself. Two near the rear torque boxes / rocker area. Two near the front of the rockers or frame rail near where you are making the repair. Then another set as far forward on the front frame rails.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to verify the vertical position of key points according to a frame diagram either. This might help you determing if anything is tweaked the wrong way.

Since you have a 'vert, you might be able to set your jackstands under the rocker panel's pinch welds. My jackstands have a little channel that work perfect for this. The pinch welded flange is pretty sturdy on a vert with the multiple layers of steel that make up inner and outer rocker joint.

"stangg" said:
I don't think you want the suspension loaded for this repair. Since your dealing with removal and replacement of structural member, I would lean towards using 6 jackstand under the unibody itself. Two near the rear torque boxes / rocker area. Two near the front of the rockers or frame rail near where you are making the repair. Then another set as far forward on the front frame rails.

It wouldn't be a bad idea to verify the vertical position of key points according to a frame diagram either. This might help you determing if anything is tweaked the wrong way.

Since you have a 'vert, you might be able to set your jackstands under the rocker panel's pinch welds. My jackstands have a little channel that work perfect for this. The pinch welded flange is pretty sturdy on a vert with the multiple layers of steel that make up inner and outer rocker joint.

This is definitely the way to go short of pinch weld clamps and bolting it to a frame machine.

Back