1. Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Tractor Supply Exide Batteries

Discussion in 'General Mustang Discussion' started by Patrick Stapler, Oct 27, 2017.

1. msell66

msell66 Burning Fossil Fuels Donator

That looks terrible for 500 miles and a fresh engine!

2. Patrick Stapler

Patrick Stapler Active Member

And that's the third plug. Two sets of 45s and one set of 124s.

3. rbohm

rbohm Active Member

re the starter, when was the last time it was replaced? the brushes in the starter motor deteriorate over time and use. also if you have any kind of oil leak in that area, that will get in the starter and cause problems, been hit by that issue a few times over the years.

as for the plug, you have an issue with oil control on the intake valve, most likely a bad or improperly installed oil seal, or a bad valve guide. even with a fresh engine, the builder might have missed something.

4. Patrick Stapler

Patrick Stapler Active Member

So tonight I disconnected the battery terminals cleaned them really well with the wire brush battery terminal cleaner and cleaned the battery cables. Greased them with dielectric grease and reattached...tightly. Removed, cleaned all paint, and ran a thread chaser into the front block ground connection. Greased and reconnected...tightly. I will say this connection could have been considered loose relative to the others. I couldn't turn it with my fingers, but it required little to no torque to move with a wrench. Did the same to the engine to firewall connection. It was tight at both connections. Battery is fully charged at 13.45V with no load.

Driving tomorrow...