• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Transmission time

Dne'

Ok, I called a local transmission shop that I was referred to by a reputable mechanic friend. I have 2 C4's. one was supposedly overhauled, but I'm not taking any chances. The man at the trans shop said between 1000-1500 including a stall speed convertor to meet my needs. They custom build the convertors. He said if they need parts from one trans, they can salvage parts from the other/donor trans.

Summit racing's converter is 319.o0 plus s/h.

Any advice here?

I don't want it to shift terribly hard, it's a Sunday driving car(someday). I dont want it to Bark the tires when just driving around town.

You didn't mention the stall speed of the convertor or your rear gear ratio.
If you don't care too much about barking the tires, then get a low stall and skip the shift kit.
If you want the opposite, do the opposite.
Even with a shift kit, you can choose how you want it to feel (ie, soft vs hard shifting).
And bear in mind that this has also to do with your driving style.
The tranny can be adjusted to shift firmer or harder based on engine vacuum. If you're not putting your foot hard into it, you will maintain high vacuum and the tranny will shift softly.
If you stomp it to the floor, the tranny will see little vacuum, and shift firmer cuz it knows you're busily trying to spank somebody's arse.
The point of that being that you can build it to have the firmness when you need it, and it will still be easy on you when you're just driving around town.
If you explain all this to your tranny guy, he can recommend a convertor stall speed for you.
In Houston, I take all my tranny business to Circle D, or Gary's Transmissions in Katy.

HI Joe, thanks for chiming in! Circle D is where I got the quote. My engine builder said 2250 - 3000 stall, but circle d says bring in all the data on the engine build. I need to crawl under the car and see what the rear end ratio is. I guess I was mainly wanting to know, is that about the going rate for a transmission overhaul? It's not the money. just want to know what the going rate might be, approximate.
Thanks!
dne'

That does sound about right including the converter. Be careful with high stall converters. If you don't plan on drag racing they can be trouble. If your car turns below the stall speed rpm's at highway speed the converter will be slipping and causing heat and bad fuel mileage. Heat will destroy the trans eventually. The only real need for a higher stall speed is for drag racing to launch the car in the optimum power/torque band for acceleration. If its a Sunday cruiser you will probably be happier with a stock converter. That's my 2 cents anyway,

yeah, I was thinking about that, regarding the torque convertor. I honestly don't see why I need a high performance converter. I was just checking into it because my engine builder said that's what I should get,but I can get what I want for what I want it for. Thank you tarafied! Save myself a little money too! I think I may also shop around a bit for other transmission overhaulers. It's just a little C4, not an electronic high dollar tranny!
dne'

http://www.compperformancegroupstores.com/store/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Store_Code=TC&Product_Code=511200

Dne, based upon the linked "new" and much tougher than a stock rebuilt tranny will ever be, the qoute seems awfully high to me. TCI is one of the premier auto trans suppliers to the street/strip/track crowd.

I hate to throw a wrench into your plans, but you'd really benefit from a transmission with an overdrive gear.... such as an AOD, which is a well documented and rather easy swap into a classic Mustang.

My '66 came from the PO with a 3000 RPM stall in the built C-4. I also have a good trans. cooler up front. In 3200 miles since Oct, I have had no issues on the street. I most likely would not buy one for my application but since it is there.

I wonder if I could use that as an excuse to the cops.....I had to speed to keep my tranny from slipping and causing things to overheat.....hmmmm.

AOD

So, an AOD eh? how do I go about looking for one? What all do need? shorten the driveshaft? I've heard about this upgrade but have never really looked into it. Going to bed now, I'll check into it more tomorrow~ any advice, direction would be appreciated!
dne'

With minimal shopping for an AOD, I found this place online. Price for a standard AOD for my application. 1929.oo including s/h. I don't have much time to shop today, but this is just a start. I just don't want to have to go all over the place searching for parts I'm unsure about. As much as I'd like the aod, I'm not sure if I want to go through the process of hunting for parts. Then shortneing the driveshaft, then supposedly you can't pull trans out through the bottom/ has to be pulled with the motor? Then I need to go to a junkyard, the man tells me to get and plug for the neutral safety switch. I'm sure they're just laying around ready to buy. I didn't sleep well and I'm a little edgy.

http://www.transmissioncenter.org/class ... ersion.htm

I want a TCI

I kind of like the sound of that TCI transmission! Of course it's late Friday and I can't call them! Super Dave, I just don't think I want to do the aod :hide2, maybe in my next Mustang. Anyway, on TCI"s website, they offer a really neat looking shifter, but look like it's designed for later model mustangs/cars. That is just one of my questions for them. It's not the money, I just want to be able to put the darned thing in my Mustang! lol

DNE,
As much as you have done already you would no issue putting in an AOD. Everything is available because it has been done quite a bit. It would be pretty much a bolt in swap.
I’ve put a few AOD’s in and surfed the web a lot, here is some info on the swap:

1. TV cable: If you're carb'd, just buy a universal carb version from Lokar. I think it's like $50 or so from Lokar or Summit. There is a pressure gauge used to make sure it’s set right. If it’s wrong you can fry the clutches, ask me how I know…
It needs to set at 35 psi in neutral.

2. Crossmember: Your original C4, crossmember will not work. You can buy a conversion crossmember from lots of places including ebay. Or consider making your own. Take some measurements, mock up a model, weld it up.

3. Flex plate: you'll need a 164 tooth flex plate with the correct balance for your motor. Early Ford small blocks were 28 oz., later ones (like roller 5.0s) were 50 oz. You can get a new correct SFI rated flex plate from lots of places, like NPD, for less than $60.

4. Block plate. You'll want to use the AOD block plate.

5. Shifter adapter: Lokar sells these.

6. Starter: you'll need a starter to match the flex plate. You might be able to use your original starter.

7. Driveshaft: you will need to modify the length of your driveshaft. You can order a aluminum driveshaft from Mustangs Plus with the correct yoke and to the length you want. (That’s what I did.)

8. Which AOD?: It is best to use an AOD from either a 5.0 equipped car, or a or Super Coupe. If you get one from a column shift car, the shift lever in the trans is not the right length. You can get it to work, but the shifter doesn't function quite right... hard to find the right gear, detents don't line up etc. Lokar makes a neat shifter lever to fix this too. The AOD’s from V8’s and SC’s have more clutch plates too.

KAR sells everything you need (turn key) including the trans and converter for $3250 or without the trans and converter for $1250. I picked up a new KAR catalog at the 45th and the info is on page 209. I think you could peice everything together cheaper but they have all the homework done.

I think that's it, or at least all I can think of at the moment... Hope it helps.

If you plan on driving your car as a cruiser like I do you will love having the AOD. I have a T56 6 speed manual tranny and think it is the best thing since sliced bread. I have 3.70 gears and the engine is turning 1900 in 6th at 70mph. It makes the car enjoyable. Heck I can even talk to someone while cruising down the hwy with the top down. I couldn't do that very well in my old coupe. The engine rpm was high enough it made it a pain. Good luck with whatever you decide.

one more question

THank ya'll so much for the information! I'd like to know about the clearance issue? Is there a problem with the bell housing being close to the tunnel? Does modification have to be made there for adequate clearance? I don't know where I read this, but apparently if many are doing this swap, it must not be a concern.

Now, even though money is not an issue, I just hate telling my husband, 'oh, i just need another 3500.oo for this transmission". lol
I've got a few weeks~ I'd probably do the turn key thing vs. shop for parts.
Thanks again! I'll let ya'll know what I do.
dne'

I spoke to tech

Ok, just spoke with a tech at KAR. He told me I'd be wasting my money on the AOD, unless I were to change out my stock rear end. He was very honest and he would have loved to sell me their AOD package, but he said for a Sunday driver, fun car, just stick with the C4. However and sadly, I don't even know if my rear axle/third member is Ok or not and won't know until it's on the ground and put in to use! I do know my pinion seal is leaking after topping it off upon installation, but the seal is probably very old and would leak! But really guys/gals, I'd like to get by with not spending a great deal of money on the trans(even though deep down, I have the moditis syndrome like ya'll!).

So, I'm back to the c4 again! and the link that Dave guided me to still looks just fine to me! HOWEVER~ I have these two C4's just sitting here and it kills me that I wasted money on them(my fault) without research! My I have learned many lessons and not learned very well about buying things, only to waste money.

I"m going to the garage to adjust my doors, maybe install my rear lights and give my brain a break on thinking about trannies! :pep

If you were quoted between $1000 and $1500 for a tranny, including a stall convertor and you're comparing that to a TCI with no convertor for $1100 plus shipping, I'd still say stick with Circle D.
Go with a stock convertor and you'll save a couple hundred bucks as well.
Also, TCI does not sell "new" transmissions, they are rebuilt, just like you would have from Circle D. And they can build it as bullet-proof as you want. Alot of the Houston area street machines and race cars run Circle D trannys.
Also, tell them you're a member of WestsideMustangs.com and they'll give you a few bucks off to boot cuz they're a sponsor of ours.
If you get the tranny in your car and there's any issue, you can drive it over to Hempstead Hwy and they'll fix it. You can't do that with TCI.
If you find a deal that's significantly cheaper than the money we're talking here, you're getting less transmission. Just my 2 cents.

Talk to Craig (cmayna) for tips and tricks as he put an AOD into Red. And on the comment about the trans being installed only from above???? We did it from underneath with the car on jackstands and us on the floor of the garage. Don't get me wrong, like most transmissions, that puppy was heavy and it took some effort but we used blocks and a jack to wrestle it into place and it went smoothly.

rear end?

I guess I maybe installed my rear end in too soon! I have't crawled under my car to see what gearing is, cause I'm being asked that by the transmission shops. I have this bad feeling that my third member may not be in the greatest shape and maybe I should go ahead and pull it out and maybe look for a limited slip. Third members aren't ridiculously expensive are they? less than a 1000? and then how do I decide what gearing to get to go with my transmission, or is that decided when my transmission is built? :cry
I have a 279 gearing. that sound right? 2300-2400 with trans, bell housing, specific torque converter, shifter. and now I'll be looking for a third member? lol

I spoke to tech at TCI and he was so busy and I didn't have all the info that he needed. I like what he said about their trannies and how they're built, and the cool ratchet type shifters look neat too. 'When buying a trany from them, you can't use the stock shifter. Shipping is only about 90.00 to a business.

Back