• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk and hood hinges

Johnny M

I read recently that you are better off restoring your old door hinges instead of buying the new repo ones which are a bit flimsy.

Is that also the case with Hood and Trunk hinges on a 67?

daveSanborn

Is that also the case with Hood and Trunk hinges on a 67?

Definitely. Whenever possible use/re-use original parts. While most reproduction pieces are of good quality, they are not as high quality as the original pieces.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
"tarafied1" said:
I agree 110% with Dave!

I can't as long as we have to look at that green outfit he's wearing yet only drink a light beer? WTF. But yes Johnny, restored original hinges are much better.

garner67

I restored both upper & lower hinges on each door. It's not that difficult, and it's well worth the effort.

dhouse

not trying to hijack the thread but i need some ideas, i kept my original hood hinges but had to buy new springs and now the rear of the hood wont sit flush with the fenders. how do i fix this?

AzPete

Normal method is to open the hood and have someone hold it up. Loosen the bolts holding the hinges to the car. Then have the hood lifted gently to move the hinges. Tighten them down and then......GENTLY close the hood, watching all clearances.

SELLERSRODSHOP

"AzPete" said:
Normal method is to open the hood and have someone hold it up. Loosen the bolts holding the hinges to the car. Then have the hood lifted gently to move the hinges. Tighten them down and then......GENTLY close the hood, watching all clearances.

don't loosen them all, leave the forwardmost bolt in the hinge tight. you want to rotate the hinges on their "axis" so to speak to drop the rear of the hinge down.

dhouse

it worked... sits flush at the hinges and the headlight buckets but arches up a little in the middle, is there an easy fix for this other than body filler.

AzPete

You might try some spacers under the fender on the bolts in the area of the difference. This would space the fender up and away from the inner fender and possibly raise it to the hood level.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
I restored my door hinges. But the 69/70's are pretty easy to do.

I did however buy a repop set of hood hinges and springs. I had no problems with the hinges themselves. Though I did have a lot of re-adjusting to do once they were installed. Mach1ne (Skip) can confirm this...

dhouse

i thought about the spacers under the fender but didnt know aesthetics of this fix. ill try this tomorrow, if they dont stick out from under the fender and leave to much of a gap ill probably do it.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
My hood does not sit exactly flush with the tops of my fenders either. It arches just a tad more in the middle as well. Both fenders are repops too.

You could try shims, or you could try to massage those fender apron tops and persuade the middle section, with a BFH, to raise up a bit more too.

dhouse

i shoved some washers under the middle three bolts and its made it pretty flush.... its good enough for who its for... :)

SELLERSRODSHOP

"dhouse" said:
i shoved some washers under the middle three bolts and its made it pretty flush.... its good enough for who its for... :)

p.m. me for my cell # if you ever want to re-arch the hood to match the fenders & i can talk you through the process. back in the old days when i had 71-73's, it was just the opposite. the hood would sink lower than the fenders in the middle due to people always slamming them shut.