• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk cleanup begins in earnest!

The trunk was in horrible shape so the cleanup began today. I stripped and chiseled out some bizarre pink rubbery stuff and bondo-esque black gooey material. Then I chipped out the paint layers and started on the rust spots.
I'm thinking primer/paint/undercoating to get a slightly quieter ride. It should also be a nice change to have a uniform color and texture.
trunkcleanup004.jpg

Looking very good. Would you consider removing the tank to cleanup and paint the lip of the trunk opening? I realize that this would be a big step to take, but knowing that you addressed this area and be able to apply a new seal all the way around, might give you more good feelings knowing that everything has been addressed.

This also gives you the opportunity to consider replacing the tank for if the car has sat weeks or months on end with less than a full tank, odds you have rust inside. Just another detour.

Sorry

Yep. If you've come this far it would be a poor decision not to remove the tank and address the "hidden" areas. This is where you typically find a lot of the worst rust/rot. New tanks are also relatively cheap too.

If you have a drain plug under the tank, you could at least drain it totally, remove the sending unit and with a flashlight look through the sending unit's hole to see how much crud it laying on the bottom of the tank. The results of that inspection might indeed convince you to replace the tank.

This is the procedure I'm going to do on a Boss I'm working on. I don't trust what might be inside the tank but heck, why not look first before spending money on a new one. Odds are, I will be pulling it.

Back