• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk insulation and carpet project

Hey fellas.

I've been spending the past few days putting down Second Skin sound deadening and a carpet kit. I purchased the carpet kit from NPD.

I had to modify the carpet kit a bit to fit with my mods: battery and solenoid in the trunk and the fuel pump outlet coming out the top of the tank.

I made a small box out of MDF and covered it with carpet to protect the fuel lines. It's all held in place by industrial strength velcro.

Here is before:

IMG_20121218_192528_496.jpg

and after:

20131223_200754.jpg

20131223_200700.jpg

There are a few things I don't like about the carpet kit.. like the tabs that cover the bumper braces and the how the gas tube is covered... I may modify that in the future.

-Shannon

That looks pretty awesome. I've been thinking about putting a carpet kit in my trunk. Right now it's just lined with sound deadiner

Sent via horse and buggy

Shannon,
Very nice job you did there. And you also used Second Skin product as well? :thum I've used both their diamplifier pro and their brush on materials. Fantastic stuff.

Dennis66stang,
Yes, a carpet kit with a sound deadener underlayment really helps a lot.

Thanks guys.

"cmayna" said:
Shannon,
Very nice job you did there. And you also used Second Skin product as well? :thum

Yes I used Second Skin as well. That was my main reason for the carpet; just to cover up the Second Skin stuff. My thinking is that the trunk is one big vibration chamber with those loud a$$ mufflers on it. :)

I haven't taken it for a spin yet, but the panels are definitely distribute less vibration.

-Shannon

Looks good man and ive got to do my trunk since theres nothin back there but steel. Lol

1968 mustang coupe with 289 and auto trans. Northampton,pa is where i wrench at.

Looks good. I noticed the carpet peeling from the cardboard backing in my trunk. I'll need to take a look when I get some time.

That looks great! Very clean and easy to service if you need to.

Darreld
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Back