• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

trunk lid prop rod options

sigtauenus

So I have the Dynacorn trunk lid hinges, which Jason pointed out aren't as strong (spring tension) as original, and the Dynacorn trunk lid is heavier than the original piece too.

So my trunk lid doesn't stay up by itself.

I remember 69 or 70's with the spoilers had a prop rod for the trunk lid. Would that work geometry wise for 68? What about using a gas assist like newer cars? I'd prefer the prop rod as I think it would be less modification involved and otherwise less unsightly.

Why not get some decent originals and refurbish them? I'd hate to see you use a prop rod.

I guess its a crap shoot for originals. The ones in my car had broken springs and had no tension anyhow. Effectively what I need is more spring tension. I wonder if I can wind the spring around one more time?

IIRC it's Aeroform that sells a very clean gas shock w/mounting hardware. We're using one on Joe's FB and it works GREAT.

A small angle bracket bolts onto the trunk floor up on the transition pan behind the rear seat/trap door... and the other end of the shock mounts to one of the hinges at a specified in the instructions location. No springs, no tension rods, just the gas strut and it works fine.

"daveSanborn" said:
IIRC it's Aeroform that sells a very clean gas shock w/mounting hardware. We're using one on Joe's FB and it works GREAT.

A small angle bracket bolts onto the trunk floor up on the transition pan behind the rear seat/trap door... and the other end of the shock mounts to one of the hinges at a specified in the instructions location. No springs, no tension rods, just the gas strut and it works fine.

I knew a supplier had a kit for a gas strut trunk hinge setup, but I couldn't remember who. While I bet it's cheaper to go to the junkyard and pull some gas struts from a vehicle with a hatchback, but buying a kit for $60 isn't too pricey and you know it's going to work. I'm going to order that kit today. Thanks.

trunklift600.jpg

Hold the phone...

I decided to source my own gas struts and assemble the pieces myself. I found a vendor on eBay, and I purchased all the necessary parts for about $50, including shipping.

I'll post pics when I install everything.

"garner67" said:
I knew a supplier had a kit for a gas strut trunk hinge setup, but I couldn't remember who. While I bet it's cheaper to go to the junkyard and pull some gas struts from a vehicle with a hatchback, but buying a kit for $60 isn't too pricey and you know it's going to work. I'm going to order that kit today. Thanks.

trunklift600.jpg

That's the kit. It's a simple installation and works great.

Wow, I already bought the acrylic rod but heck that looks really cool. I bet you can paint those brackets at the trap door and hinge mount body color and it'll blend right in.

That is all I am using it for. I suppose if you really want it to be ricer you could install a LED in the rod and have it light up. :DD

Back