• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trunk lid weather stripping install

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator
Geez, I have forgotten. Where does the seam (the two ends) of the WS go? middle of front or back? I might attempt to install the trunk lid but want to first install the lettering and trim and then WS.

According to the 68 Body Assembly Manual, the two ends meet at the center of the trunklid on the "latch side." The wider part of the C-shaped insulation is glued to the decklid, and the narrower part of the C-shape faces towards the inside of the trunk panel.

From my own experience, put a bead of the adhesive on the panel, then a bead of adhesive on the weatherstrip (at least a section at a time). Let them get tacky before pressing them together.

Here's some more info from a Mustang Monthly article:

Both the hood and the decklid have seals as well. Decklid seals should be installed using 3M's Super Weatherstrip Adhesive as explained earlier. The seal's mouth (groove) should be pointed inward, never outward. It should be attached to the lid, not the body. The seal's end gap should always be positioned at the trunk lock, never at the backlite. These suggestions are based on experience and knowing how the factory did it to begin with.

----------------
Currently playing on the Rock Show: Dwight Yoakam - Things Change

Bill,
You know what? I could have opened my 68 body assembly manual to answer my question. Geez

"cmayna" said:
Bill,
You know what? I could have opened my 68 body assembly manual to answer my question. Geez

True. But that would have an adverse effect on your post count. :dumas

But this weather stripping is not shaped as a "C". It's more like a blunt V shape. There is no way the wider part would go against the trunk lid.

"cmayna" said:
But this weather stripping is not shaped as a "C". It's more like a blunt V shape. There is no way the wider part would go against the trunk lid.

Interesting. does it look different than what's in the body assembly manual? That's a "C" shape. Maybe I'm thinking of a different part?

It should look like this:

yhst-25833717935750_2068_76935357

The flat side is what gets mounted to the decklid

"Fast68back" said:
It should look like this:

yhst-25833717935750_2068_76935357

The flat side is what gets mounted to the decklid

Sorry for adding to the confusion. :doh Obviously, the FB weatherstrip is different from the coupe. I didn't know that, and it wasn't depicted in the body assembly manual.

Yes, that's the WS I have. So, as per the above pic, the flat side is the inner surface of the coil of WS?

yes, the inner side of the coil in the picture mounts to the trunklid. Once you try it, you'll see that it fits the groove perfectly. What I did was tape it in place, then removed the tape from one end and applied the adhesive, then taped it back to the trunklid to hold it in place, but mine was on the car, with yours off the car laying flat it will probably be much easier.

What I've done on Red's trunk lid and doors while off the car was to apply a coat to each WS and door. Let them dry. Then apply another coat to the door and applied it. Not the easiest method but the WS sticks very well.

Thanks for all the input.

"AtlantaSteve" said:
I'm particularly fond of the tuna can supporting the soup can. That's engineering!

LOL! I was out'a cat food cans.

And can you tell what's in the bubble wrap bag at the bottom?

"Fast68back" said:
And be sure and put towels down to protect the carpet, but only put the trunk lid half way on the towels......

26_24_08_09_8_13_03.jpg

That side was done. I could safely move it off of the towels. LoL.

Oh, and don't use white towels like I did with the black adhesive... :doh

Back