• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

trunk release

PLEASE note that this part was originally purchased for a 1967 Mercury Cougar, but it is not the original part (as far as I know) so PLEASE do your homework before bidding if you have any other application or are unsure.

Its not original, but it does look just like the one i replaced in my '86 lx vert. Sits inside the glovebox.

Definitely not right for our cars. Highly doubt that was right for a cougar either. For a guy who is picky about his parts, that is way off.

"janschutz" said:
Not correct but I am using it. It is mounted in the glove box. I will try to get a picture tonight.
Thanks, I have a 75 T-bird latch that bolted right in and is electric. I need a switch/button and I'm set!

got 'er done! I have a glove box lock from a 68 that I re-keyed (changed the tumbler) to match my trunk key. I have the push button mounted to the plastic liner in the glove box. It has been real slick! All looks factory and I can pop the trunk anytime. If I don't want anybody to open the trunk I can lock the glove box door. Thanks ALL!

I planned on getting the Scott Drake lock set that has both doors, ignition and truck all with the same key. Lots of places sell the trunk and glove box with a matched key. Wish SD would add the glove box to the set he has with the trunk lid key matching the doors and ignition.

It's really pretty easy to make any key work on the glove box lock. If you get the SD stuff and a glove box lock, all you need to do is take apart the glove box lock. There are three pins of different length. Just swap around the pins until your key works. I don't think the glove box lock is designed for too many key combos so you might even get lucky and the key you get with the set will work...

Think I will order just the glove box button and re-key like Craig did. This way I dont have to R&R the trunk lock, or take the key off the key ring, I'm lazy like that...

"tarafied1" said:
It's really pretty easy to make any key work on the glove box lock. If you get the SD stuff and a glove box lock, all you need to do is take apart the glove box lock. There are three pins of different length. Just swap around the pins until your key works. I don't think the glove box lock is designed for too many key combos so you might even get lucky and the key you get with the set will work...

The problem I've seen in the past is that the trunk lock and ignition keys take a physically different key. As you go to insert the key, one is offset low and right and high and left, and the other is offset low and left and high and right. Since they take different key blank shapes its more complicated than just rekeying the lock cylinder unless they can also change out the face of the lock that accepts one shape or the other.

I think he meant any trunk key, although the lock mechanism doesnt appear to be specific.

LS02-B.jpg

yeah, I missed the point that you want a set-up that uses all the same key for doors, ign, trunk... you are right, the glovebox lock would not except an ignition key unless SD repoped one of those too. Sorry I didn't pick up on that.

Back