• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trying to divert some heat from my carb.

70_Fastback

Hell Bent for Speed
I think heat transfer / gas boiling over is causing my flooding condition sometimes. I am going to try to solve that this coming weekend.

What is everone's opinion of this:

108-70 - Holley Under Carb Heat Shield
510-108-70.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Holley/510/108-70/10002/-1?parentProductId=743655

Is that giong to look like total arse? And the specifications does not indicate if the included spacer is phenolic or not - one would assume so though...

I have very limited clearance between the faux-blower scoop and the hood scoop - so I can only use about 3/8" max spacer to leave me any amount of comfort clearance between the 2 afore mentioned items.

I may just go ahead and buy this as well and try this with the heat shield:

Trans-Dapt Performance Products Canvas Phenolic Carb Spacers
969-2446.jpg

http://www.jegs.com/i/Trans-Dapt/969/2446/10002/-1?parentProductId=1068336

That's a 3/8" spacer as well.

Do you think this combination would help? Or any other recommendations?

Yeah. Its getting kinda bad when I sit at a light for a few minutes and then try and take off. I think the heat is building up and causing the same issue for me.

Mine only seems to be when I go to restart it. It's always flooded. I have to hold it to the floor to get it to start.

I would try just the phenolic spacer first, before you install a flatboat under your carb. The spacer really insulates the carb from the hot intake. I put one on my 289, w/o the spacer I could hardly touch the carb, same temp as the intake, after install of phenolic spacer (1/2") I could rest my hand on the carb for a while. I had one of those IR temp probes from HF and noted a big difference in temp. but failed to record it for comparison, I want to say it was ~200* w/o and ~150 or < w/spacer.
Jon

Another thing to consider is the float level. Since gas expands when hot, if the floats are set right at the max, it could be overflowing and not really boiling. Either way, the carb spacer is good.

And one additional concern is the thermal conductivity effectivness of a 3/8" spacer vs. a taller one. I just don't have the vertical height to go up.

Honestly no. And I'm not really planning on "upgrades" for the Mustang for a while. Just want to resolve this one issue so I can enjoy it more this summer.

Actually, that upgrade part was a small lie. Since I am making brackets, etc for a 4-link rear suspension with coil overs for the rat... I'm making duplicate axle brackets brackets, etc.

I'm planning on making the same setup for the mustang rear as well. :)

Sounds like you and Rick just need a carb rebuild. I'd just drop a spacer on it. Fit what you can and it's a cheap check.

Im with duane. i was surprised by the temp difference when i put a phenolic spacer on mine instead of an aluminum one. It was huge. Then again if you need more space, ever consider a bigger scoop? :pbj

I'm using a thicker gasket that I got from my local parts store. I can't remember what vehicle it came off of, but Edelbrock makes something similar. Its basically a 3/8" thick gasket (may have phenolic in between layers, can't remember). It solved my heat soak issues with my edelbrock. I couldn't go much thicker than that due to hood clearance issues with my 351w. I think I asked the guys at O'Reillys about a thicker carb gasket or carb spacer for an late 70's/early 80's GM and that is what they came up with.

I went ahead and ordred the 3/8" phenolic spacer. If worse comes to worse, and it's too close, I have the option to mill down the mounting base for the butterfly scoop (again). But I've about taken everything off that I can off of that base.

Stick a phenolic spacer (biggest you can get) under it and forget about it. You'll wonder what took you so long.

Jeremy, if the one you bought is too thick, make your own. Get a small sheet of 1/8" fiberboard (or wood works too) from HD, trace a carb gasket on it, and cut it out with a jig saw. It works like a champ.

Just be sure it isn't a material that swells with moisture. that could warp a carb base or create a vacuum leak. Obvious, I know

Back