• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Trying to divert some heat from my carb.

I run a fiber/resin composite gasket (like the one pictured above) on my car. Made a huge difference with heat soak. Downside is that it does tend to swell. I'm almost at the end of the life of mine.

Ok, I bought the:

969-2446.jpg

Compressed Canvas Phenolic spacer. Question now: Do I need to use gaskets with this type of canvas spacer?

Yes, use gaskets. I prefer the universal 4 barrel Mr Gasket deals available in the performance section of most parts houses.

I ordered a spacer from Summit, it came in on Wed. I installed it last night and took a short test drive. The spacer seems to help in a few areas. I stopped at O'Reillys to pick up a quart of Mobil 1 (almost at the 250 mile mark and need to add a quart.....damn strokers) and the car fired right back up when I came out without having to pump the pedal. It also seemed to behave quite well at traffic lights were before it seemed as if it wanted to bog down. After using some play dough from the dollar store to measure how much clearance I had available I added a 1/2" Holley Phenolic spacer. Very pleased with the upgrade.

He may have the early style pistons that had the issue with the pin getting into the oil ringland area, which makes them prone to burn oil.

"70_Fastback" said:
That issue was, IIRC, only related to the 347 stroker rods/pistons. He has a 331.

Mine a 347 FWIW.

Mines a 347, Dave Sanborn and I seem to experience the same issue with burning around a quart every 250 miles or so.

"70_Fastback" said:
I thought you had a 331?? Does your wrist pin intersect the oil ring?

I've never had it torn down that far, I bought it as a short block.

I also finally found and installed a overflow/catch can. Ordered one of these when I ordered the spacer from Summit. I was able to mount it without drilling any new holes. I used the hole that I am using to mount my horns (they are lowered because of the grill cover).

sum-300100.jpg

Installed
index.php

"apollard" said:
Moral of the story: Limit your stroke to prevent lubrication issues.

It's nice to know my mind isn't the only one in the gutter!

Back