• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Umm tranny #'s

"Kats66Pny" said:
If it turns out to be a manual, and I have to swap it... it's all yours. :thu

Someone on another forum said "Just a guess from the pic since it has a vacuum modulator I would think automatic valve body." :confu

Just because there's a vacuum modulator installed on the case, doesn't mean that it's an automatic valve body. the c4 that I have at home that has the reverse manual valve body has a vacuum modulator there. It's just sitting there, plugging the hole in the case.

Also, just thought of something. depending on what has been done to the internals of the tranny, just swapping out the valve bodies may not work exactly how you'd like. On the c4 that I have at home with the manual valve body -- when I took it apart to check it out, I noticed that there were some parts that were not there and others have have been modified. The governor assembly had been removed, since it was no longer needed. But it is needed for automatic shifting, it works in conjunction with the vacuum modulator. attached is a blowup diagram of the c4.

Attachments

• c4exp.gif
    c4exp.gif
    84.3 KB · Views: 9
The governor assembly had been removed, since it was no longer needed. But it is needed for automatic shifting, it works in conjunction with the vacuum modulator.

:confu Interesting. Something I'll have to add to my check list.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I might go the AOD route one day. My husband keeps talking about it, but I see no reason to do it right away when the trans I have works just fine.

I've had the same thought so far since my C4 is working fine and has a number of upgrades done to it but you are obviously not running 3.55 rear end gears.

Changing out the third member made my car run a lot better from stop light to stop light and gave it a lot better launch off the line but if you are going freeway speeds...that's when I start to seriously consider swapping out my C4 for an overdrive. The gears give the car a lot more balls but it runs at pretty high rpms if I am just cruising at 60 mph....this adversely affects my mpg in addition to just generally being annoying.

Luckily, I don't drive the car that much and hardly ever get it on the freeway. Given what an expensive pita swapping in an AOD sounds like I am running with what I have for now. However, if my C4 ever craps out on me, I won't be rebuilding it.

Changing out the third member made my car run a lot better from stop light to stop light and gave it a lot better launch off the line but if you are going freeway speeds...that's when I start to seriously consider swapping out my C4 for an overdrive. The gears give the car a lot more balls but it runs at pretty high rpms if I am just cruising at 60 mph....this adversely affects my mpg in addition to just generally being annoying.

Driving through town is one thing, but when I get on the highway and have to do 60-70mph... omg, it's pushing 3,000 rpm and sounds really annoying. Luckily, I can get anywhere in town I need to without ever having to get on the highway.

However, if my C4 ever craps out on me, I won't be rebuilding it.

I feel the same. If my C4 works fine .. why change it out, but if it goes out... then I would do the AOD.

"Kats66Pny" said:
I feel the same. If my C4 works fine .. why change it out, but if it goes out... then I would do the AOD.

If you decide to go with an AOD, and stay with the B&M shifter...you'll need a special adapter kit for the shifter. I've got one on just sitting on the top of the cabinet...never been opened. I went with a tko instead. if you want it let me know, and it's yours.

Back