• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

unbelievable

jpyoung

I was returning from a 3 hr drive to a friends shop where we installed roller spring perches on my 65. On I-75, in the middle of Atlanta, all six lanes came to a stop due to an accident. After 20 minutes of stop and go, I came to a stop and looked in the rear view mirror and see this kid in a Toyota pickup about 30 yds back coming at me and he is staring at his lap (texting I bet.) The usual slo mo kicks in and I'm praying he looks up, but no, wham he slams the back of my car. I guess he was doing 5-10mph and hit the brakes at the last second. I get out of my car highly perturbed and go to take a look. First thing I see is his front bumper which is indented at least an inch deep and a foot and a half long. I look at my car and there is no visible damage. I thought I was hallucinating.

I now realize I'm standing in the left lane of I-75 next to the HOV lane which is moving, thinking this is pretty stupid. I took one more look at my car and yell at the kid f... it. Got back in my car and continued home. After a more thorough inspection, there is a slight scratch on the bumper and another on the panel below the gas cap, no dents! All I can say is 65 mustang 1, 07 Toyota 0!

Haha reminds me of the old cartoons where a car or person would be in the middle of the train tracks and the train would pile up as it collided, leaving the car undamaged

Congrats!

Glad to hear you and the Stang came out ok.

I had something like that happen years ago. Traffic stopped and I looked in my mirror to see some jerk still doing 45 mph (or so) and looking down. Only had a split second any way but there was two lanes of stopped traffic in front of me and oncoming traffic in the other two lanes so nothing to do but say a fast o-sh*t and brace for the impact. He slammed into the back of us and never touched the brakes. Actually did more damage to the front of my car then it did the back because he pushed me into an SUV in front of me with a trailer hitch. So why was the dumb ass looking down instead of at the road? He dropped his cigarette between the seat and the console.

Same thing happened to me (except the hitting part) going to a grand opening of a collector car dealership/car show last month(2 miles from my house).Going down a 2 lane road came to a red light,traffic ahead stopped, I stopped and automaticly looked in the rearview and low and behold there was a girl about 17 coming up fast and looking over at her friend, finally looks at me,slams on brakes, I take a death grip on the wheel and brace for impact, she cuts the wheel toward the ditch and couldn't have missed my bumper by no more than a inch. I open my eyes and look over and the silly bitch and her friend are laughing their ass off.Light turned green and I nailed it to get away from the idiot before I had to turn into the show and take another chance. :expl

What the original poster described is one of the advantages of unibody construction from the 50's and 60's: the structural integrity of these cars is very good when hit directly at the front or rear. There are no crumple zones designed into these old Mustangs. Newer cars have the crumple zones, so the car gets damaged to protect the passenger. The disadvantage of unibody construction from our era is that the passenger can take the brunt of the sudden acceleration/deceleration of an accident.

I personally ran into a early 70's Toyota with my 65 GT Coupe (not very hard, though...a 10 mph collision). I did some significant damage to her rear side, but not a scratch on the Mustang.

I hate to hear this happened, but I swear, I think that chump woulda have had to pay somehow. I think a good ole fasioned ass-whoopin would have been in order. But, again, cooler heads prevailed and you let it go.

I would have been livid! :taz

You know, the kid never even got out of his truck. Now that I think about it, it's probably a good thing. I can imagine what I looked like when I stormed out of my car, cussing a blue streak. After washing my car yesterday, there is a small dimple on the underside of the bumper which you can't see. I'm still amazed at the whole incident.

Cmon, we all know why your car survived such a hit. It was those new roller perches :wor

You are one cool headed guy. I think I would have pulled the idiot out of his truck through the window. LOL

Glad nothing serious happened to you or the car.

Back