• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Undercoating effect topcoats?

jking

I was wondering if I could finish the backsides of my fenders and spray them with undercoating or would this effect the topcoat on the other side? Fisheyes or anything? Its a rubberized undercoating

I ment will it have any effect on the outside when I spray it? I was told that it could fish eye the paint/clear.

If you allow a residue of anything to get on a surface prior to paint it can give you problems. But since the first part of any paint job is to clean and degrease prior to spraying, no you shouldn't have issues.

So they are saying the undercoating will bleed through the steel and affect the adherence of the paint?

"jking" said:
I was wondering if I could finish the backsides of my fenders and spray them with undercoating or would this effect the topcoat on the other side? Fisheyes or anything? Its a rubberized undercoating

You could have a 4" layer of dog crap on the underside and it wouldn't have any effect whatsoever on paint adherence/appearance on the "topside".

Spray it on there!

I didn't think it would have any effect but i was told that so I thought I would ask...better safe then sorry.

I like to lay a strip of fatmat on the top surface then spray the rest of the fender with undercaot. You won't have any problems with fisheyes. Rich.

"mustangstofear" said:
I like to lay a strip of fatmat on the top surface then spray the rest of the fender with undercaot. You won't have any problems with fisheyes. Rich.
I thought about this approach but worried about long term issues of moisture entrapment and eventual rust when putting a product like this in an exterior location subject to getting wet. As usual I'm probably way over-thinking this...

Got one fender done didn't have alot of time.

08062010186.jpg

08062010186.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
By putting a strip of fatmat down first it really helps from stones hit the top of your fenders. You won't have to worry about moisture when you cover it with undercoat. Rich.

That'll work fine as pictured. You may want to take a few minutes now and either roll that fender lip or straighten it out.

Back