• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

(updated) Gas Tank drain plug weeping gas.

garner67

Taking Pete's suggestion, I first I jacked up the passenger side of the car, which shifted the small amount of gas in the tank to the opposite side away from the plug. Next, I removed the plug; cleaned and dried both the plug & hole; then, applied a thin even coat of Permatex Form-A-Gasket No. 1 Sealant to both the plug & hole. The Permatex Form-A-Gasket #1 says it's fuel resistant, and it cures to a firm set, which is for solid, rigid parts.

I let the sealer set up a bit, and then reinstalled the plug. After 2 days of the plug soaking in gas, not a drop. We'll see how it holds up over time, but it's good for now.

Thanks, y'all.

<><><><><><><><><><><><><>
Original post:

Good news... after a year of sitting on a stand, my engine fired right up on the first turn of the key. Another milestone towards getting the beast back on the streets!

Bad news... my new gas tank is weeping gas from the drain plug. I tried to crank it down a bit more, but it's so tight now, I'm concerned I might damage the plug hole

Has anyone had similar problems? If yes, what was your solution?

I guess I could always just seal it permanently with something like JB Weld, but it would be better to retain a functional drain plug.

Suggestions?

A

Anonymous

Re: Gas Tank drain plug weeping gas.

First off
Congrats on the engine firing, nothing is as sweet as that first fire :toot :toot

What about making a new cork gasket for the plug? I have no personal experience with it since I have a fuel cell.

AzPete

The drain plug is like a pipe fitting. Gasket most likely will not work.

Find some gas resistant sealant at local parts store, drain tank, seal plug, add small amount of gas to check. If tank is low on fuel, you may be able to jack up the side of the car to avoid draining. Use stands......

garner67

&quot;AzPete&quot; said:
The drain plug is like a pipe fitting. Gasket most likely will not work.

Find some gas resistant sealant at local parts store, drain tank, seal plug, add small amount of gas to check. If tank is low on fuel, you may be able to jack up the side of the car to avoid draining. Use stands......

Since I only poured <2 gallons in the tank for the initial start up, there shouldn't be too much gas in it now.

Do you know what company actually makes fuel resistant sealant? The thread locker as well as Permatex gasket sealer I have in the garage specifically says it won't seal fuel leaks.

SAC69

Donator

&quot;AzPete&quot; said:
Find some gas resistant sealant at local parts store, drain tank, seal plug, add small amount of gas to check.

I had this with the new gas tank when I replaced it. I checked several packages of sealant at the local Auto Zone for gas resistance and ended up with Permatex Motoseal 1, no issues in 4+ years now. It will allow disassembly.

cmayna

DILLIGARA?
Donator

Geez,
I never thought about this plug as being a problem since I have had such great luck with Red's tank. Watch Shag's tank be a big dripper.