• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Upgrade sway bar or just be content

Midlife

Staff member
Donator
Doesn't replacing the front sway bar to a much larger diameter also affect the amount of understeer our Mustangs have? I thought that by going above 1", the understeer turns to oversteer, or a rear sway bar is needed to keep things close to neutral. Is this true?

66gt350

If you're interested, I've got an extra front sway bar out in the shop that I could easily be talked out of for a killer deal. It's either 1.125" or 1.25", can't recall this early in the morning. It's in good shape, except it needs some new bushing on the end links.

A

Anonymous

Abe, if you do end up wanting a rear bar, I can hook you up. I have an unused 5/8" rear adjustable Stam Bar out in the barn I'd love to get rid of!

Shaun

A

Anonymous

"Shaun" said:
Although a bar is a tuning device I've never driven an early Mustang that had a rear bar that didn't try and put me in the bushes arse end first. I would not recommend wasting money on a rear bar. Sorry Mark, but there is a reason it is in your shed and not on your car!

Zip it Edith, I'm trying to clean out the garage! Beside, Abe can use it as a testing device! It's only gonna cost him the shipping to KA.

:yah

Shaun

"silverblueBP" said:
Zip it Edith, I'm trying to clean out the garage! Beside, Abe can use it as a testing device! It's only gonna cost him the shipping to KA.

:yah

LOL. I sold my Stam bar at a swap meet ages ago as a 'tuning device'. I ran it as loose as possible and the cars backside would still come around.

stangg

But if you have a 4 link rear instead leaf springs, a rear sway bar helps... On my car, all's I have hooked up is a 3/4" rear bar. The front is a 1-3/8 tubular bar that I'm planning to hook up this summer. Right now it seems pretty well balanced, so I'll be a little more cautious when it's actually connected up.