• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Valve problem(still!)

As stated, you should always "chase" the threads with a bottom tap. This should have really been done when the block was bare as part of the cleaning and freshening. As it is now you need to be very careful not to have any fresh metal particles cut lose by the tap find there way into the engine.

This is done to make sure the torque readings are accurate when installing the head. A burr along a thread can give you a higher torque reading without actually applying the same level of force between the head/gasket/ and block surfaces. Oiling the head bolts also aids in accurate results.

New head bolts are always a better idea. Bolts stretch as they are tightened. Older bolts don't always recover or stretch the same leading again to inaccurate torque results.

"Horseplay" said:
As stated, you should always "chase" the threads with a bottom tap. This should have really been done when the block was bare as part of the cleaning and freshening. As it is now you need to be very careful not to have any fresh metal particles cut lose by the tap find there way into the engine.

This is done to make sure the torque readings are accurate when installing the head. A burr along a thread can give you a higher torque reading without actually applying the same level of force between the head/gasket/ and block surfaces. Oiling the head bolts also aids in accurate results.

New head bolts are always a better idea. Bolts stretch as they are tightened. Older bolts don't always recover or stretch the same leading again to inaccurate torque results.

Thats what I was trying to say.Thanks Horseplay !!

My next set of heads

I went to get my next set of heads today from Herb. They're off of a '69. These heads have the round holes for the pushrods vs. the oval hole, and Herb gave me the rail rockers to go with them. I got them home, and began running a tap through every hole, including the block. I'm glad I did because 75% were rusty or something would have caused some problems! I'm going to look for a bottom tap tomorrow, my taps are the regular kind. Most of the block holes were pretty rough, I'm so glad I took care of them. and Summit is also including some lube for the headbolts. Maybe ACE hardware may have the bottom taps~
I've got new head bolts, gaskets coming from Summit racing and should be here by the weekend, but I won't be able to put the motor back together until next week. Herb will come over when I'm ready to tighten the rocker arms; not sure how to adjust them in the initial startup.
Thanks again everyone!!!!!!

My 2 y/0 grand daughter was helping me with tapping some holes too!

ARhea.jpg

289 or 302?

:craz you know this is driving a little crazy~ he may have said '68, I was just happy to get the heads! I was beginning to wonder where I was going to get my next set of heads if Herb didn't come through! If they were from a 302, would that cause any problems with bolting up? How would I distinguish a 302 from a 289 head, if that be the case?

They should say either 289 or 302 where the springs are. The only difference I found when going from 302 heads to 289 heads on the wife's mustang is where the power steering bolts up. The 302's have a bigger bolt hole there than the 289's. Had to run to Ace and get a new bolt for there.

They're 289 heads

I just went to check, they're 289 heads, but they're different than my previous heads. The springs seem to be lowered into the valve spring seat and the springs don't look so compressed like the last head, and like I said, these have round push rod holes instead of the oval. There are some funny looking bolt holes like where the alternator or PS pump would go , like helicoils, but not, but they are 3/8's bolt holes, looks like they could be taken out with a large screwdriver. These heads will take the railrocker arms which Herb supplied. So, I guess I'm good to go(again)!
Now just waiting on gaskets~ the heads are now painted and ready to be installed! I hope this is the last time I have to pull heads off for a while :doh

Glad to hear your getting it resolved. If it makes you feel any better, I discovered after I bought my GT40's that heads are heavy no matter who you are...unless you happen to be Hulk Hogan I guess.

As far as the medical symptoms your having...sure it's not tree pollen / allergy related? I have been having a lot of the same problems but I have them every year. It cloggs up my ears (on the left side in particular) and that makes me feel kind of dizzy sometimes...especially after a bunch of forward rolls on the Aikdio mat, LOL! Also makes my upper teeth hurt again on the left side in particular. It just in general makes me feel "off".

Best thing I have found for it is drink lots of water, make yourself exercise even when you don't feel like it, get a good nights sleep every night and take singular daily :)

302 heads have bigger chambers than 289 heads, which will lower your compression from 1 to 2 points.

"Midlife" said:
302 heads have bigger chambers than 289 heads, which will lower your compression from 1 to 2 points.

Unless they have been surfaced (milled) which would help regain some of that compression. Older heads like these will certainly have had at least some clean-up work (surfacing) done to them. Of course, that could also affect the valve train as well. Make sure he takes the time to check clearances on everything this time around especially looking for valve spring coil bind and proper pushrod length.

Casting numbers?

hm, there is only so much surface area on a head, and I can't find a number like that! lol Where would the casting numbers be?

and thank you Crustycurmudgeon( I have to ask how you came up with your user name!!)

"buening" said:
Dne' what is the casting numbers on the heads? Is it C8OE?

C8AE

I can't thank you enough for the info! I couldn't find my numbers or read over unless I just passed over them while reading through the historical documents. C8AE The 8 almost looked like a 6, but I'm pretty sure it's an 8. So I can see the little hump in the exhaust port the article talked about for the thermactor pump channel~ bummer, I have thremactor heads. Hopefully these heads will suffice my needs. Another learning lesson~ thank you!!
dne'

Back