• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vendor for steering components and springs

Is Mustangs + a good vendor for suspension and steering parts?

• Steering Components

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Suspension Components

Votes: 1 100.0%

• Total voters
I want to buy steering components for my car but nothing drastic over overly expensive. Does anyone have a preferred vendor for these parts. I was looking at Grab a Track from mustang plus but was told to look elsewhere. What do you guys think?

The tie rod ends from M+ are fine. The steering sleeves they sell are not as quality as I Moog. The idler arms they sell are off-shore and won't last as long as the Moog pieces. A budget way to go would be to use the tie rod ends from M+ and get the steering sleeves and idler arm from Moog.

I edited the poll, I couldnt understand if you were asking about Mustangs Plus or soliciting for a vendor. If I did not change it correctly, let me know.

I have Grab-A-Track upper & lower control arms, shocks and springs. Seams okay. My Tie rod ends I got from NAPA... idler arm is still original but seams to be okay...

I have their springs all the way around on my car (although I got the coils through OpenTracker) and I'm happy with them. I wouldn't go to them for stock-replacement springs though, as I've heard nothing but complaints about their idea of 'stock' ride height.

Their steering components and control arms are all made in China, as far as I know. I'd try to get what you can from Napa or someone who sells Moog (Napa Chassis Parts are superior, IMO), and get what you have to from a Mustang vendor.

The one exception is a roller idler. If you have a manual car and are ok with the quirks of a roller idler, get it from OpenTracker. I love mine.

The roller idler reduces the return-to-center function of the steering at low steering angles and vehicle speeds. The result is slightly less driver-friendly steering. I can turn the wheel about 1/4 turn (with a 5 turn box) at 25mph and it tends to stay there. On the freeway, the wheels tend to follow road imperfections more willingly, so you have to pay more attention to where the car's going. Before the swap, I could let the wheel go on a straight section of freeway and the car would keep going straight for quite a while. Now, I have to keep my hands on the wheel to keep the car from wandering off the road.

For reference, my alignment specs are:
Toe: 1/8" in
Caster: +4.5*
Camber: -0.2*

It's not a big deal, and I don't even notice anymore, but it is something to keep in mind. I wouldn't recommend one on a wife's car or something that only sees mild street use, but it's a great upgrade for a m/s car that gets driven hard. The steering is definitely smoother and has more direct feedback. I'd think you would already have one on your fastback.

I do have a roller idler on my car, for 4 years now. That's why I was asking since I see none of the problems you mentioned. My castor is +2.5* and it returns to center quicker than snot blowing out your nose!

My car tends to follow road imperfections, but only since I went from 1/8" toe in to 3/16" toe out (helps turn in) and offset my camber (-1.75 LF, -2.5 RF). Before I made these changes it would drive straight and true. Now, on the track at speed, it drives perfect.

*shrug* Like I said, I don't even really notice anymore. I only really noticed when I first swapped, and I think the benefits far outweight the negative side effects in any case.

JMD (regular on other forums) has made similar comments about his roller idler on his '66, though.

I had heard of those problems with people that added the roller idler but had minimal + caster. Once adding more + caster, it fixed the problem (returning to center). That's why it sounded strange you having that problem with +4.5 caster!

Back