• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Versailles axle

pprince

5F09C332634
Thank you.

I do know it is a big bearing.

But is it a late big bearing or a "Torino" big bearing?

Or...is the "Torino" big brearing also a "late" big bearing?

daveSanborn

From a quick internet search, it appears that both the Versailles and Torino "big" bearings are one in the same.

Both of the big bearings are the same, the only difference is the bolt pattern for the brakes.

pprince

5F09C332634
and that is what confuses me :shrug

I see brakes advertised "Fits the popular "Torino" style flanges".

Ok? I have a Versailles. Does that brake fit my axle?

daveSanborn

"pprince" said:
and that is what confuses me :shrug

I see brakes advertised "Fits the popular "Torino" style flanges".

Ok? I have a Versailles. Does that brake fit my axle?

Ah, I now understand your question/concern. When considering aftermarket brake systems it's best to contact the manufacturer directly to discuss 'what kit fits on which axle housing". Contacting any of the vendors is usually a waste of time as they don't know WTF they're selling. Wilwood system? Call Wilwood directly. SSBC system? Call SSBC directly. Most aftermarket brake companies will have a brake kit to match your specific axle housing bolt pattern, they just don't list every possible combination in printed ads.

68EFIvert

I have a Versailles axle and I am pretty sure the measurements on the flange were 2" * 3 3/8". I could be wrong though. Anyways, I decided to go with a mustangsteve.com cobra rear disc bracket and make my own kit. I know Shaun at Street or Track has a kit that is basically the same that will work.

pprince

5F09C332634
I am pretty sure Shaun's rear disc's won't work on a 15 inch wheel. You need 16" or larger.

I want to keep my vintage 15" Cragar GT's.

If you know of a disc kit that will fit I would appreciate knowing about it.

68EFIvert

All my research for rear discs was directed to larger. I have 18" wheels I wanted to fill out a little better than the original discs. I still have all the original brake components. Rebuilt calipers, drilled/slotted rotors and brake cables if your current rear does not have any brakes at the moment. I did not like them because I could not get the e-brake to work worth a damn. Come to think of it, I also did not know how to adjust them worth a damn either. :confu I am sure that would have helped.

tarafied1

"pprince" said:
Thank you.

I do know it is a big bearing.

Sorry I didn't think there was a difference.

I still have the stock disc set-up on mine and I can't the e-brake to work either. They say you need more leverage than you can get with the pull handle, like the late model cars with the handle between the seats. I'd convert mine but I'd have to cut up the console.

pprince

5F09C332634
I never even bothered to measure.

Darrel is selling me his Versailles brake stuff :)

I will get back to you guys later. I promise to measure them today.

tarafied1

ahhhh, so the "big bearing" bearing is the same as a Torino bearing but the flange bolt pattern is unique on the Versailles and "Big bearing" rear-end.
ford-rear-ends.jpg