• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vintage Air Gen IV install

sigtauenus

I'm starting the a/c install.

After almost 17 years of owning this car, and swearing every summer that this will be the last one without a/c, its finally going in.

Here is the kit out of the box (3).
427_02_10_10_9_19_33_2.jpg

Got the kit with a V-M group buy, roughly 15% off. Compressor is an actual Sanden unit vice a knock-off. Evaporator is all electronic controls and there is a modification kit for the factory a/c control panel that allows the a/c and heat to work per the factory labels on the control panel.

So far the kit seems to be well designed specifically to the Mustang, but there are still a couple areas with room for improvement. I don't care for their compressor mount, so I'm going to use the factory brackets and idler pulleys with a adapter bracket. They also didn't provide a compressor belt or instructions for how to incorporate the compressor pulley into the existing pulley system. No extra pulleys, idlers, or brackets were provided other than the compressor mounting bracket.

Other than the lack of clear instructions for the compressor belt, the instructions for the entire kit seems to be very well written and everything has gone as advertised so far.

Condenser is installed, evaporator is assembled and ready to to in. I need to make a run to the local parts store for some sealant for the cowl block plate and the firewall block plate.

427_02_10_10_9_19_33_0.jpg

427_02_10_10_9_19_33_1.jpg

427_02_10_10_9_19_33_3.jpg

Old firewall, nothing installed yet.

427_02_10_10_4_56_34_0.jpg

Evaporator installed with lines through firewall. Heater hoses need trimmed/routed better, but are hooked up so I can start the car. A/C lines are trimmed, need the fittings crimped and will have them installed shortly.

427_02_10_10_4_56_34_2.jpg

Evaporator under the dash. Need to clean up the wiring but that's just winding stuff up, zip tying it, and tucking it under nicely.

427_02_10_10_4_56_34_1.jpg

New controls. Install went very nice and easy, clear instructions. All controls electronic. Even the calibration of the control panel is electronic. Unfortunately they missed a lever so I have to call Monday to have one sent to finish that up.

427_02_10_10_4_56_34_3.jpg

Overall the install is going nicely. I have about 8 man hours total on this so far, and expect once the hoses crimped, replacement lever and Sanden conversion bracket delivered, I'll have maybe 2 more hours total to clean it up based on how fast this has gone so far.

We install Vintage Air kits all the time at my shop. They are very well engineered and can put out some cold air. The way the units can run off of the factory controls is a plus in my book.

Doug

Can you post a larger picture of the controls? Does it come with the actual control bezel with AC vent on the Driver's side, or is it only the variable resistors and levers?

"ZFORCE" said:
Can you post a larger picture of the controls? Does it come with the actual control bezel with AC vent on the Driver's side, or is it only the variable resistors and levers?

Will do. All the kit comes with are the levers and variable resistors. Actually 2 levers, you reuse the original middle lever. You can get vents/bezels from them, but I liked the look of the original vents better.

Some more pics. Everything is assembled, levers electronically calibrated, just need to take it in and get the system charged.

I did try the heat function out, and was amazed at how much air this system is pushing. Really nice. If that much air comes out, and cold, in the summer, this will have been well worth it.

nice kit, I think one of the Mustang mags did a feature last month. My wife has been wanting me to get AC before the next Hot Rod Power Tour but I have been reluctant since there isn't much room under the hood with a 429 to be adding compressor and condenser.
I like the original style dash too, looking good man (for a fastback).

Wow - that kit certainly has a lot of parts. Nice job on the install! Now you just gotta wait for a nice warm day to give it a go... Next summer you'll really be able to enjoy the fruits of your labor...

Got the system charged last night. Surprisingly nice air flow. I don't need a/c any more this time of year hear, but having dehumidified defrost this winter will be nice. Well defog at least, who are we kidding, car will be in the garage, won't see any frost.

I really like it that it uses the factory heater holes in the firewall! My Classic air all come out of the same large hole and the dryer is behind the shock tower(which is ok). Good writeup and good job!!! :thu
dne'

Back