• Hello there guest and Welcome to The #1 Classic Mustang forum!
    To gain full access you must Register. Registration is free and it takes only a few moments to complete.
    Already a member? Login here then!

Vintage Body Shop Tools? - Updated with Video

Mach1ne

I have been hanging on to these for years. Don't know why. Any idea exactly what these are called and how much they are worth?

Note I am talking about the dent remover in the middle of the picture. Not the post hole digger, pitch fork, or grain shovels.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Vintage Body Shop Tools?

without seeing them laid out seperately, they look like vintage 'bullseye" picks used for removing dents in the 20's thru 40's fat fendered cars. here's a newer version:

http://www.eastwood.com/eastwood-bullseye-picks.html

can't help with the value, but if they are in good useable condition, would probably a better made tool than the stuff you see today.

Thanks for the info Steve. I could not come up with what they were called.

These had been hanging in the old chicken coupe for at least 40 years. They just need cleaned up a little. I have not tried to hook the main unit up to the compressor yet.

They are definately shaped for working on big old fenders.

hook them up & let me know how they work. i'm curious if they work like a planishing hammer or more like a pneumatic punch where you get one press stroke per trigger pull. i have an old, old fender roller from the 30's in my box that looks like a miniature english wheel setup. you slide it up over the fender, tighten the wheels up & manually push it back & forth to smooth the dent. cant beat the old school tools.

COOL! a hand held planishing hammer. that would for sure save alot of time in removing the old fenders & working them. should be a handy tool to have around, nice find!

I have no need for it so I will probably try to find it a new home. Might be good for smoothing out an old rat rod.

Found out these things are worth $500 or more. They are highly prized in the metal shaping world. I guess I won't be giving them to Jeremy.

wish we were in the same area. i would like to look those over. i'll bet a dollar i could make a set with some schedule 40 tubing & a air chisel. if i did that, i'll bet another dollar jeremy would hunt down a certain gray sweatshirt & want to do some trading :hide

Back